cheap floor jack

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

blumule
Preferred User
Preferred User

cheap floor jack

Post by blumule »

i recently bought a 3 ton jack made by torin. seems to be of good quality and pumps up good but wont hold pressure very long. ive sprayed soapy water on several areaswhile under pressure but cant see it leak. would a heavier oil help? also what do yall think of pittsburg torqu wrenches? im just a dad trying to keep the family cars and ole blue running.
DCrusher

Re: cheap floor jack

Post by DCrusher »

There is only 3 thing that can let a jack leak down
1 the cylinder o-ring or rubber cup kinda like a hydraulic brake cup
2 the needle valve or seat the one controlled by twisting the pump handle
3 pressure relief valve but usually you can bottom that baby out that is the screw next to the needle valve and seat you unscrew that cap and look down in there you'll see another screw that is the pressure relief valve

I have 1 jack out of 4 in the shop right now that is doing the same thing and its the piston cup leaking by the only way you find this out is the back side of the piston should NOT have hydraulic fluid on the rod side it should be almost dry very little fluid it's a one way ram another words it uses pressure to lift and spring return or weight to push fluid back into reservoir
blumule wrote:i recently bought a 3 ton jack made by torin. seems to be of good quality and pumps up good but wont hold pressure very long. ive sprayed soapy water on several areaswhile under pressure but cant see it leak. would a heavier oil help? also what do yall think of pittsburg torqu wrenches? im just a dad trying to keep the family cars and ole blue running.
http://www.hottottyscreations.com

55 F-100
57 Oval VW
68 F-100 3" Dropped Axles & Rear Hanger Flip
88 Dodge Ramcharger
97 F-150 Extended Cab 4" 6" Slammed
Heirloom
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: cheap floor jack

Post by Heirloom »

I have all three Pittsburgh 'clicker' torque wrenches from Harbor Freight. A word of caution, you get what you pay for. Mine happen to be fairly accurate. When it 'counts' most (to me that's head bolts, intake bolts, bottom end, balancer/flexplate/flywheel bolts, tranny pumps etc.) I use my digital Snap-On to make sure it's accurate and perfectly even to within 1/10 ft/lb . For things like pans and valve covers I'll use the clickers. However, I have built whole motors with the Pittsburgh clickers and never had a problem that was due to torque.
~Heirloom

'68 F250 360, 4 spd Project Thread!
Plans are for a stout 400, C6, 3.54 gears, 33" BFG AT's, bucket seats and custom console. Final assembly, nearing start up...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~ Abraham Lincoln