Stock height front to rear on 71 F250 4x4

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

dougster

Stock height front to rear on 71 F250 4x4

Post by dougster »

I posted this under a different topic and wanted to ask again. So this is how my truck sits now. 1971 F260 with 6800 lb GVW. I had the truck re-sprung (fronts were sagging) and these pics are how it sits on the new springs (had front and rear replaced a few years ago). The truck sits not bad but there is a difference from the front to rear; the front is approx. 3.25" lower than the rear measured at the chrome strip right above the wheels. The spring shop couldn't tell me how the truck was supposed to sit.

I have been playing around with a hydraulic jack just lifting the front end up a bit to see what looks best. If I lift the front so it's level with the back.....it looks like the front end is way higher than the back. I'm thinking the truck looks "right" with the front end ~1" to 1.5" lower than the rear; a small amount of rake on the truck.

I've talked to the spring place.....I'll take them off and they can re-arch a bit and/or add another leaf (I also asked about the short leaf as a spacer too).

What has anyone figured out with this......on a F260 how should the truck sit (front to back)? I.e. what was stock, does anyone have a pic that they think looks "right" and what is the measurment?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WBCC3489

Re: Stock height front to rear on 71 F250 4x4

Post by WBCC3489 »

Wish I could help, but when I got my 68 F250 Highboy, the front springs had flattened out so badly the PO put in blocks under the front to bring it close to level. Since most of these old springs have been worn out from 40 years or more of use, knowing the factory rake might be difficult. Hopefully someone here has repleced all four springs with new factory replacements and can make some measurements for you. If you want to raise the front end about 1 -1.5" have you thought about an add-a-leaf? I used add-a-leafs in some 71 front Highboy springs that I swapped under a 79 F250. Although the the ride was a little tough up front, it was too bad. Another option would be to use Super Duty front leaf springs from a 99-04 I believe. I am not sure what spring you would use to lift your truck up that 1 to 1.5", but I know there are several threads about the topic. Stock front leaf springs from a Super Duty might be all you need, since my 4" Super Duty Springs lifted my 68 about 6". Keep us posted on your decision and your progress.
Tpdaniels

Post by Tpdaniels »

This is my 72, I bought new stock front springs then repacked them to add 2 inches, first picture as it sits now and picture two is of the spring pack. I took the old springs and cut them down to get all the shorter pieces. The picture shows five extra short leafs, In the end I only use four to get the look I wanted.

I am of an age now that most of life's lessons were learned the hard way;
Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
Never ask how stupid someone is 'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
If you had the choice “Looks or Brains” take the Brains, Looks will get you thru the first half, but Brains will last a lifetime.
KnockKnock

Post by KnockKnock »

I've noticed that leveling kits (whether for lift or drop) tend to give the truck a saggy-bottom look to them, even if they are geometrically level, and despite my search for solid info on stock ride height, I've come up empty. My :2cents: says to put it how you like it, and enjoy the ride.

:fr:
A GM-convert that doesn't believe in bail-outs.
towtruckerfour
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by towtruckerfour »

I like your lift idea. Did you have to change anything else?
Troy
Why is it that the trucks are always the best running vehicles in the family?
Ford means "found on road daily"
70 F100 Custom-352 w/68 Highboy 4x4 frame. My play/project truck
70 F250 Explorer-390/C6 auto. My work truck
04 Mitsubishi montero-family car
stink bear

Post by stink bear »

The fender cut outs are different front to rear. I measured mine at the center of the bump.
taRedHood

Post by taRedHood »

Tpdaniels . . .

Your truck looks great! I've been trying to figure out what to do with my saggy '72. I'd like to return to factory specs on springs (either through re-arching or purchasing new) and lift just a bit for a nicer look. Yours looks about perfect.

a couple questions for you:

How high do you figure your custom packing is on the front? I guess I can just count the leafs.

What is your setup on the rear? Can you post a photo?

What did you do for shocks/mounts?

What size tires are those?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tom
Tpdaniels

Post by Tpdaniels »

taRedHood wrote:Tpdaniels . . .

Your truck looks great! I've been trying to figure out what to do with my saggy '72. I'd like to return to factory specs on springs (either through re-arching or purchasing new) and lift just a bit for a nicer look. Yours looks about perfect.

a couple questions for you:

How high do you figure your custom packing is on the front? I guess I can just count the leafs. ----- Added a total of 2" to spring pack

What is your setup on the rear? Can you post a photo? --------- Totally stock, Picture below

What did you do for shocks/mounts? ------- Mounts are stock, Local 4WD center shocks, Measured new distance, mount to mount and they figured what length I needed, If my memory is right, mount to mount is about 22" both front and rear

What size tires are those? ------ 295/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapler

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tom
I am of an age now that most of life's lessons were learned the hard way;
Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
Never ask how stupid someone is 'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
If you had the choice “Looks or Brains” take the Brains, Looks will get you thru the first half, but Brains will last a lifetime.
taRedHood

Post by taRedHood »

Thanks much.