Engine Build Torque Wrench

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Engine Build Torque Wrench

Post by luke-ao »

Since I started the 302 project, I pulled out 3 torque wrenches and checked the calibration, all three were so for off I can't trust them as far as I can toss them. One is fairly new (click spring type) and it was 16 ft lbs off calibration. Can these little digital units be trusted? >>

I really don't want to spend hundreds on a high end torque wrench but dont know if there is a viable option.
Donnie
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Engine Build Torque Wrench

Post by Donnie »

What country did it come from? How much did it cost? I always sent my wrenches to a lab to have them re-calibrated..But that was years ago.
I'm sure that there are tools on the mkt. to do the job....But there is a LOT of cheap JUNK out there too...I can check the MSC catalog tomorrow & get a price on one with name recognition.........Donnie :2cents:
luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

Thanks.
It's probably made in China because it's not listed. ;)
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

The calibration company I use doesn't "calibrate" torque wrenches. They give you print out with the torque wrenches actual torque at many different readings. If it doesn't repeat they tell you to toss or repair it.

Works good for me.

Point is it doesn't matter what the reading says as long as it repeats and you have a way to actually quantify it.

Torque wrenches are typically inaccurate towards the ends of their range. For example, don't use a 250 ft/lb torque wrench to torque 50 ft/lbs or 250 ft/lbs.

I have several nice CDI wrenches I bought new from before Snap-On bought them out and even they are not repeatable at the top of their scale.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

I just checked the calibration on the three wrenches I have, one of them is more than 16 ft lbs off, way too much to adjust the setting, plus it is not the type that can be re-calibrated at the factory, cheapie-throw -a-way. The others are not much better. That's the reason I'm in the market for a new one. I just purchased a Eastwood digital, not sure about the quality, but I will check it when it arrives. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231012940907?ss ... 1438.l2649
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

If it repeats what is the problem?

How are you testing the wrenches?
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

They say more than a few ft lbs off on your setting the torque wrench should not be trusted. ;)
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... on-testing
luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

I set up a excel spread sheet to aid in checking wrenches in inches or ft pounds, free to anyone interested, just send me an email request with torque wrench in the subject line.

All you do is fill in the planks and it will do the math for you...
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

This may be a good place for a reminder to anyone who uses a click type torque wrench: When done using it, before putting it away, always... Always...ALWAYS take the tension off the internal spring before storage! :thup:
(Getting down off soapbox now.)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

luke-ao wrote:They say more than a few ft lbs off on your setting the torque wrench should not be trusted. ;)

Hard to say it again and think you might all of sudden understand, but what the hell difference does it make if it's off as long as it repeats?

As long as a torque wrench repeats there's no reason to replace it.

A spring's properties can change with cycling. If the spring has not broken it's still working, but at a different rate than originally. If you know what it does at different settings and it always does the same thing then there you go- You have no reason to question it's ability to accurately torque a fastener.
chad67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by chad67 »

What type (click, dial, beam, digital..) of torque wrenches are we talking about here? I always thought the beam type were dead reliable when used CORRECTLY.
1967 F100 SWB
1991 Thunderbird 5.0 with fully ported gt40 heads, cobra intake (also ported) and a trickflow stage 2 cam, manual steering, and custom 3" exhaust
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Click type are for torquing small fasteners. Dial and beam are for dynamic applications where you need to quantify force required to turn something.

Accurate fastener torquing is done through percent elongation of a given material.
luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

averagef250 wrote:
luke-ao wrote:They say more than a few ft lbs off on your setting the torque wrench should not be trusted. ;)

Hard to say it again and think you might all of sudden understand, but what the hell difference does it make if it's off as long as it repeats?

As long as a torque wrench repeats there's no reason to replace it.

A spring's properties can change with cycling. If the spring has not broken it's still working, but at a different rate than originally. If you know what it does at different settings and it always does the same thing then there you go- You have no reason to question it's ability to accurately torque a fastener.
Do what ever you want, I don't care, means absolutely nothing to me. If you want to build an engine with a torque wrench that has a huge discrepancy in it's readings, be my guest, really I dont mind. :) Personally I will err on the side of caution, why does that seem to bother you?
luke-ao
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by luke-ao »

chad67 wrote:What type (click, dial, beam, digital..) of torque wrenches are we talking about here? I always thought the beam type were dead reliable when used CORRECTLY.
I have 3 click type wrenches, two are basically brand new cheapos from autozone. I have a old 30 year old T.W. that is only off a small amount and can actually be factory calibrated.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

luke-ao wrote: Do what ever you want, I don't care, means absolutely nothing to me. If you want to build an engine with a torque wrench that has a huge discrepancy in it's readings, be my guest, really I dont mind. :) Personally I will err on the side of caution, why does that seem to bother you?
A discrepancy with a torque wrench would be if it didn't repeat.

The condition of the threads, underside of the bolt heads, material properties and lubrication used and how it's applied have a lot more effect on how much you're stretching a fastener than what the torque wrench says.

If they are cheap $20 torque wrenches then toss them. I'm just saying that even good torque wrenches change value in time and it's perfectly acceptable to keep using a wrench as long as it repeats well.