Best Electric Tool For Rust Sanding

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Best Electric Tool For Rust Sanding

Post by Subzero »

I'm taking on two HUGE rust prevention/stopping projects to deal with the rust on both my trucks. I've near about had it with sand sponges and my cheapo 20+ year old Craftsman drill with a sanding disk and a few other less affective attachments. I have lots of rust and paint that needs to be roughed up a little bit before I can throw some POR15 on everything. I'm thinking a nice DeWalt Right Angle grinder or a good DeWalt drill with a second front position handle on it for grip. I'm leaning more to the grinder as I can really use one with a sand paper flapper attachment and not to mention another tool in the box that I don't have ( I already have a drill :lol: ). Would the grinder be the way to go for what I need?
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
SDFarmKid

Re: Best Electric Tool For Rust Sanding

Post by SDFarmKid »

When i did my truck i used a dewalt grinder with a wire brush on the frame and body work that i coated with Por-15. Its still sticking a year later so i think it should be ok. The biggest thing with using a brush like this is making sure you wear safety glasses and are in a well ventilated area. The brush kicks up alot of rust dust, and it can plug you up quickly if your not careful. You also have to watch out for the wires coming loose and sticking you.
Here is a picture of some of the work i used the grinder for, and its pictured too.
Good Luck if you have any other questions let us know. :thup:
Quick side note I'm also a young guy working on an old truck so its nice to see someone else my age working on one too. :D
Mine - 1969 Ford F100 ShortBox
Original: 360, T18, Dana 60, Custom Cab, Red
Now: 302, M5R2, Front Disc, Black Leather Interior, Grabber Blue

Dads - 1969 F100 Stepside
Original: 390, c6, Custom Cab, White
Plans: Drive it and....?

Chandler
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I like 4" 3M bristle discs for paint/rust removal on sheetmetal. I stripped my 65 Mustang is a couple hours and about 10 discs.

Dewalt is not quality stuff. Makita and Metabo are good names for angle grinders. Black and Deckers industrial line used to be the best, but I doubt they are anymore.

Wire wheels put a lot of heat into sheet metal and don't strip paint very well.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

4" angle grinder is the way to go. Use the braided wire cup brushes, they last longer. With the angle grinder you can also use the metal cutting wheels, grinding discs, flapper wheels and paint stripping wheels. Much more versatile and easier to use than a drill.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
motzingg
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by motzingg »

I've had the 10 amp dewalt for 6 years+ and still going strong. We use them at work and it will last about a year before its trashed, that is heavy commercial use 10+ hours a week. I'm lucky to use mine 5 hours total a month, and I'd say that i probably use it more than the average consumer.

Definitely worth getting the 10 amp, i've used the 5 amp ones and they will leave you wishing you had more power.

Never tried the '3m Bristle Disc' is that the one that has little rubber fingers on it? I'm going to have to check that out. Typically I use the angle grinder with a knotted cup brush for removing loose rust and peeling paint, and use a random orbit sander to prep the old paint. Very rarely do I actually remove all the paint before a paint job.
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I just got my new grinder tonight. It was a hard choice between the Makita and the DeWalt grinders but I decided to go with the DeWalt in the end. $90 later and I have a 10 amp 4 1/2 inch Dewalt D28402W. I wanted one that was $130 and 13 amps but the store didn't have any. I couldn't find any wire brushes so I bought a flapper wheel and a disk sanding attachment. I needed to use one of these many times before so its nice to finally have a really good reason to get one. I get to try it out tomorrow so this could be interesting.
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Be gentle, they'll tear up sheetmetal and your shirt if you aren't careful.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

Until I get the hang of using the grinder I'm going to stick with the sanding disk attachment as I firgure it will be less destructive for a new user. I don't really like the converter I got as I can't seem to get more than a 3/4-1/2 turn on the retainer that holds it on. I guess it will work until I can go get a another one thats made by a different brand ( that's the only one they had at Home Depot).

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Subzero wrote:Until I get the hang of using the grinder I'm going to stick with the sanding disk attachment as I firgure it will be less destructive for a new user. I don't really like the converter I got as I can't seem to get more than a 3/4-1/2 turn on the retainer that holds it on. I guess it will work until I can go get a another one thats made by a different brand ( that's the only one they had at Home Depot).
I wouldn't use that on auto sheetmetal. Very easy to ruin panels with a sanding pad on a grinder and they load up with paint pretty bad.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I didn't use it on the sheetmetal. I just used it to get rust off my trailer hitch and a little elsewhere. I can see how it would make a mess out of some sheetmetal.

samericsson67

Post by samericsson67 »

i'm going to go ahead and be that guy and say HARBOR FREIGHT ANGLE GRINDER FOR THE WIN!!!! 10 bucks, get afew wire wheels and you're golden. the only problem with them is that the button to change discs breaks easily so you just have to jam a screwdriver in the hole instead and it works just as well.
72BahamaBlue
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 72BahamaBlue »

I've tried several diferent types and brands of grinder discs, here's the best I've come up with:

Coarse knotted wire wheel, a light pass to get the heavy, loose stuff off. Harbor Freight sells a decent one, the stainless ones disintigrate too fast. I like the Milwaukee best.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half ... 91279.html

These Harbor Freight discs are the best...use with a light touch, they wear away too quickly if too much pressure, but are outstanding for paint and rust removal. Again, light touch, stop often and feel the metal to make sure it's not getting too hot.
Buy more than you think you'll need, worth every penny. They're often sold out here in Seattle, I stock up whenever available.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half ... 94017.html

Touch up any areas by hand with Norton or 3M 60 or 80 grit sandpaper, final pass with another H.F. abrasive wheel, leaves a good scored surface for primer.

I usually use 2 grinders...a Milwaukee with a paddle-type switch for the heavy stuff, and a Ryobi (this one...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-4-1-2- ... oXHXieC1Ms) the longer handle and trigger type switch gives me better control when using the abrasive wheels.
It's surprisingly durable and inexpensive, the tubular 2nd handle can be used on either side or the top.

As the wire wheels disintigrate, they love to stick into your clothing! Make ya look like a dang porcupine. Hurts when they find your face too. Safety glasses AND a faceshield are best!
Just thought I'd throw in my :2cents: !