Ocillating Noise from dana 44 Hub

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

WestCoaster

Ocillating Noise from dana 44 Hub

Post by WestCoaster »

Last month while we were out hunting, We were driving down a rutted road and I began to hear an oscillating noise coming from the left front of the truck. I thought it was perhaps the springs flexing, but after we got on near level ground it continued. I got out and walked along the side of the truck while my dad drove and listened for the noise. I realized it was coming from the left front hub. When we got back to camp I jacked it up to check and see is it was a wheel bearing noise or king pin issue, but nothing while it was in the air. The truck steers fine and brakes fine too. It has the D446CFHD. I drove around mostly in 2WD and Only put it in 4WD once or twice, but kept the hubs locked while we were up on the mountain for the week. When I unlocked the hubs the noise went away. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue or could point me in a possible direction to look. I did this truck on the cheap and would like to keep it that way. I already know that upgrading to a 60 or disk brake 44 would be better, but am happy with the truck the way it is now. This is no crawler. I haven't tore into it yet and was waiting for a week off of work to do it. I replaced the lockouts in April with Super Winch units. I need to do the knuckle wipers too and would like to hit everything at once.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe.
Art

Re: Ocillating Noise from dana 44 Hub

Post by Art »

Sounds like knuckle u-joint. May need to be under load and at a steering angle (not straight ahead) to make the noise. Did the knuckle run low on oil? Those U-joints need that gear oil for lubrication.
owner of several 67-72 as well as 73-79 Ford trucks

Wanted: Parts for my 1930 Dodge coupe project - the DD model was built in 1930 and 1931

Like vintage drag racing? http://www.meltdowndrags.com