C6 conversion

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

dave1972

C6 conversion

Post by dave1972 »

Does anyone on here have experience putting a C6 auto in their bumpside F250 4x4? I am most of the way through it, as the tranny is in fits almost naturally to the mounting hardware of the manual tranny. My concern is the crossmember that goes under the transmission slightly rubs on the C6 oil pan. This is no problem, I will modify the pan. The bigger problem is that the same crossmember also interrupts the natural travel of the shift arm on the C6. Now I'm down to 1) modifying crossmember, 2) take crossmember out, 3) modify shift pattern on tranny. I'm very tempted to leave crossmember out but it ties the frame together between the front cab mounts. Worried about frame spreading or twisting there. Any thoughts or experiences you can share are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

dg.
Tpdaniels

Re: C6 conversion

Post by Tpdaniels »

dave1972 wrote:Does anyone on here have experience putting a C6 auto in their bumpside F250 4x4? I am most of the way through it, as the tranny is in fits almost naturally to the mounting hardware of the manual tranny. My concern is the crossmember that goes under the transmission slightly rubs on the C6 oil pan. This is no problem, I will modify the pan. The bigger problem is that the same crossmember also interrupts the natural travel of the shift arm on the C6. Now I'm down to 1) modifying crossmember, 2) take crossmember out, 3) modify shift pattern on tranny. I'm very tempted to leave crossmember out but it ties the frame together between the front cab mounts. Worried about frame spreading or twisting there. Any thoughts or experiences you can share are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

dg.
I did the same swap, I did not modify my pan, I modified the crossmember

I also modified the front cross member, I don't have a picture of it, just cut away what will hit, it's better to have something in there. I used all the stock transmission shift linkage and kick down linkage from the doner truck.

I also added a picture of the tailshaft with 4WD lever attached

I am of an age now that most of life's lessons were learned the hard way;
Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
Never ask how stupid someone is 'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
If you had the choice “Looks or Brains” take the Brains, Looks will get you thru the first half, but Brains will last a lifetime.
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

Thanks for the pictures. My tailshaft and transfer case shifter look same as yours. it even lined up with the hole in the inspection cover. I did have to move my rear crossmember back about 1 inch to align with the mount pad. It looks like I might have put the front crossmember in backwards from the sight of yours. if I remember right it has a slight arch forward or backward. Don't even know if its possible but that's what it looks like. I will check tomorrow. Thank you.
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

Thanks for your idea tpdaniels. I modified my front crossmember as you did and then welded the cutoff channel to the bottom to form a boxed section where it was cut thinner. Looks excellent. Thanks again.