what gives? no one likes manual steering?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

caseyh46

what gives? no one likes manual steering?

Post by caseyh46 »

Was mostly kidding, I realize that power steering makes things so much easier but, for myself I think I'd like to keep the manual steering on my 71 lwb 1/2 ton. My question is this: There is a lot of play in the steering wheel, much more than my old 71 with the same manual steering set up. I've read that there is some way to tighten them up or some adjustment that can be made. My dad and I checked the tie rod ends and they seem to be ok, we didn't get a chance to check the king pin bushings though. Is there any advice you guys can give on a way to possibly take some of the play out of the steering wheel before I start tossing money at the problem.

Casey
Cap'n Tea Bag

re: what gives? no one likes manual steering?

Post by Cap'n Tea Bag »

I like the manual steering on my truck, but I keep having problems with the rag joints blowing out and the lower steering column bearing self destructing, So I guess I'll try power steering swap.

My cab mounts are still appear good and solid, so the only thing I can think of is that the end of the steering shaft is too wollowed out, and is making the rag part of the joint flex too much.
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

As mentioned, the rag joint is a likely culprit if your tie rod ends are tight. Macs sells them for $55. I have manual steering and don't intend to change it. If I had to parallel park though, I believe I would have a different opinion.
surubet

Post by surubet »

I like the green (matches exterior) and mostly plugged looking radiator myself. Had I been a bidder, I would have stopped under $400. Nice to see it sold for nearly twice that. Maybe it is time to put my parts truck on eBay ... naw, still need the parts I bought it for.
1970 Ranger XLT F250 Camper Special, 2X4, 360, Factory A/C, 2 tone in greens.
Thundercat6870

Post by Thundercat6870 »

If the alignment isn't right it's a lot harder to steer. I would jack up the truck and check the kingpins. I have a 68 manual steering that would blow the rag-joint all the time because of the kingpins. I've since changed to power and rebuilt the frontend so I don't have that problem anymore. If you want to keep manual steering make sure the alignment is right because it's common.
MADD MODDS Custom Restification & Fabrication
Two 68 F-100 SHB's one 4X4
68 Cougar XR-7
Three 70 Cougars, Two Xr-7's and one Eliminator clone
68 Thunderbird suicide doors W/factory console
87 Thunderbird 289 H.O. MassAir T-5
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Get a helper. Have them sit in your truck and turn the wheel back and
forth where it's got the play in it. Crawl underneath and watch the steering linkage to see what moves too much. Look at all the tie rods
and see where it's losing motion.
studdmstr

Post by studdmstr »

I switched back to the original rims and tire size from 15 X 8 rims and wide tires on my manual steering truck. What a difference it made to turn the steering wheel in close quarter situations. If you want a good arm workout, then run wide tires up front with manual steering :lol:
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Manual steering, 3 speed on the column is what I miss about my wrecked 67. Also the 390 in it was nice, too. I don't remember it being very difficult to parallel park or do 3 point turn arounds. I am sure I will feel differently when I get it back on the road. :lol:
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

Personally I really love my power steering, But manual boxes ar just great
for the races, less drag, less float at high rpms, and lots of road feel.
Work truck? looks like a race truck to me. :D
WHAT ?