Truck stories?

General Discussion Topic Archives
Billybobjunky

Truck stories?

Post by Billybobjunky »

Any of yall have some great stories you wanna share behind your old trucks? Like my truck isn't just a truck, it is the first project I have ever undertaken, so in essence, the truck is the personification of myself, thats why it's takin me so long to get it ready, because i'm not ready yet. The day its back on the road, it'll mean much more than just that. Just wondering what other kind of connections yall have with your trucks?
1967 SWB 2wd F100

-'77 V8 [[[410]]]
-'74 C6
-Re-wired main harness
-Disc Brakes/Power Steering
steveheer

re: Truck stories?

Post by steveheer »

Well, my truck has been in the family since 69. We are the second owners BUT the first only had it for a few months. I was two years old then. In 1990 I purchased it from my dad--and it now has 350,000 miles!!! It's been a part of my life since I can remember!! It's a pretty tough old truck--and for original paint still looks good too!!

Oh, and it will be my next VEHICLE project to do! Ya know, they deserve a restore every 36 years!!! :lol:
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

I've had my truck for 4-5 years now. My friend in high school had the truck and drove it while I was hot rodding my mustang. On one occasion he even towed me home with it when my starter went out on my car. (By the way it was a 302 in that truck when it towed me up a very big hill-4 miles long.)
Eventually he parked the truck planning to rebuild it with a 429. I found out he was looking for a 4 wheeler and I ended up getting him to trade me the truck for my bike. I planned to throw an engine in it and start driving it but my wife (bless her heart) told me if I was going to do it "do it right". Thus the truck is partly dismantled awaiting more funds for the frame off resto/hotrod. Should be done by the time my 5 year old graduates. :o
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by HOWDY69 »

My 1969 F250 truck was originally sold to a rancher in southern Idaho. The rancher ordered it with a heated carb spacer and oil bath air cleaner. It has a lot of camper special options like the overload springs and HD brakes but is not a CS. My great uncle bought it in 1971 and used it to haul a large camper and pull his fishing boat. That’s when the spare tire was moved to the front and the extendable rear bumper was added. When my uncle couldn’t drive anymore my Dad bought it in 1978. We lived in Fresno and my dad flew up to Twin Falls to get it. He thought he was buying a red and white C%#$y but my uncle had already sold that one so Dad got the yellow and white Ford. Boy that was a close call. I got the truck about 8 years ago and it has been sitting for the last 3. I started working on getting it running again about 3 months ago. My 17 year old son will actually put down the game controller to help me work on the truck. After much thought I decided not to buy a new truck and to save the old one. To jump start the process and to make the truck a little more fun to drive I am having the engine professionally rebuilt. The old 360 is going to be reborn as a 410!!! :rock: I can’t wait to get the truck back from the shop.
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
blue70

Post by blue70 »

i've had my 70 stepside now for about 7 or 8 years. the day i brought it home me and my cousin stayed up all nite long taking out the 240 that was shot and put in a 300. the front was banged up a bit from p/o. i replaced the hood,passenger fender and grille. i put in a 71 grille but just have gotten a 70 grille.(thanks indy358) i sold/traded the truck a couple of years ago. the guy who got it never did anything with it. my wife kept on bugging me to get it back. :hmm: anyhow i asked him what he wanted for and he said give me $100.00 i was on that like white on rice. i have since got the tranny rebuilt,added p/s, p/b(thanks spfd68) and added front dics brakes from a 74 f-100. my wife now drives the truck daily and if i'm lucky i get to drive it once in a while. i have gotten a parts truck recently and hope to do some body work and paint in the near future.
1970 f-100 stepside 300 i-6 c-4 automatic
1974 f-250 4x4 (woods/mud truck)351w 4speed
1983 ranger 4x4 v-6 4speed
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I got my truck about 2 years ago. I bought it from a newly graduated high school kid who decided that he needed his money to eat with instead of fixing up an old truck. When I got it home, all 4 of my kids came running out to se it and it was funny. They stopped, looked and said "what a beast dad". Well there is where the name comes from. Now that it is broken down and needing rebuilt, my wife says that it is my midlife crisis starting early. lol I think she may be right.
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

The '69 "Stepper" is actullay my second , hence "2ndTime'round". Long story short,about 15 yrs ago I had a '72 swb 290 I-6 three , I was actully 3rd original owner of this truck it had 48k and some change on it when I bought it and about 82k when my X-wife and I decided we didnt need thid "truck" any longer . About all I did was slight body work a fresh coat of "Yuma" yellow paint , a decient sound system , a set of Cragar "SS" wheels and Kelly Supercharger radials , put in a decent sound system , and tried to drive the wheels off it.
At that point in time we didn't even own a computer so my support group was much smaller, Had bout $1800-2000 total in the truck. Sold it to a guy that was a paint and body guy for 46 brand new crisp 100 dollar bills ,he was going to frame off restore it 3 weeks later it was sitting up town for sale with my for sale sign in the window my # crossed out and his in it's place , inqired about it just for grins could have bought it back for $4200 , still having the cash in my pocket , talked to the "X" and her input was and I quote " If you want that F@#$%^%$ truck go get the M.F and you can help move my stuff to Moms " You know they say hind sight is 20/20 well I kick my self pretty near once a week for ever selling it in the first place , and pay for it every day for not going back and getting the truck back.
Rid my self of that problem bought and lost a new truck , married the girl I went with and high school before the "X" and she loves my '69 as much or more than I do.

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

I rescued my F250 from a police impound yard. It was love at first site.
Ugly it was, but it needed a good home. I got her a 390 to replace the
old 360 that had seen better days. New pistons and lots of new parts were
put in the FE. Even a little porting work. Now she sets off car alarms in
parking lots. I like that! When I pull up next to a Cxxy disco truck with
the hubcaps that keep spinning after it stops, It gets to see my tailights.
He He He. She's the one I'll keep. (>;
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

Hmmm? :hmm:

Where should I begin...... Okay here it goes!

--- Part 1 ---

I've Owned a few FULL/MAN sized trucks. Here's an abreviated readers digest version for you. My first FS truck was a 75 F100 302. What a Dog! one day two good friends and I were on our way back from a day of shooting when the egine stsrted running pretty hot, but I kept on driving along at freeway speeds for another 45+ miles to home. Later I found out that the heads were warped beyond specs! I didn't care because I was able to install the 351-2V Cleveland in that short bed pickup. Man-o-Man would that truck HAUL ASS! I got 3 speeding tickets with that one!
About a year later I paid $350.00 for a 63 F100 292 with a factory 4v Holley on the 4v Spider Manifold w/a NP435. I traded a set of 4 tires to a neighbor for a 47 F1 w/no engine.I had a 2.9 out of an 86 ranger that I wanted to drop in it, but I never finished the project. :cry:
I moved to Reno in 95 right after a summer in Alaska. I got drunk with a buddy and went to a used car lot and bought a real POS 74 F100 300-6. I drove to Carson City and back one nightand after filling the tank. By the time I got back the the fuel gauge read EMPTY. I got 70 F'n miles on a full tank of gas. What's that about 3 maybe 4 MPG! Well that soberd me up right fast! the next morning the first thing I did was return the truck. I lost my down payment: an even worse Pontiac X-body 2 door (:drive: that they had already sold to some idiots cause it broke down in the sierras the night before). If you opened both doors you wouldn't be able to shut them (real bad body/sub frame flex) unless you had a couple of strong buddy's help you lift the mid section of the car up! So I chalked that one up to one of life's valuable experiences.
--- End of part 1 ---

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

The first time I saw my truck was about 8 or 9 years ago now.
I ran a small (hobby sized) scrap yard and was towing an old Camaro home to get scrapped.
Had it loaded on a '59 GMC 2 1/2 ton flatbed. well I ended up blowing a rod out the side of that truck and needed a way to get it all home. So my partner at the time borrowed his B.0.L's truck.
Managed to pull that GMC, with the camaro, up a 4 mile mountain road averaging 6% grade.
took us about an hour, in low range,1st gear, and foot to the floor but it pulled it and never even got hot.
Right then I wanted that truck. later my X-partner bought the truck, but never used it so I stole it away from him for $1200. To this day he (and the B.I.L) still regret selling that truck, cause he never found one to replace it!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

well, my mom was doing some work for these people and she noticed the truck and knew that i always wanted a 'older' ford 4x4, so she told me and i went to make a deal with the guy. The origional deal was 250 cash and i do some work for him but when i was halfway domne with the work, he said i could just build a 70 ft fence for him and we'd call it even, so i built the fence, had my buddie come over with his '93 cummins and pull it home for me.
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
1970 dream

Post by 1970 dream »

lets see i bought a wrecked 97 dodge ram sport in october fixed the front didnt even paint it just flat black drove it through the winter and decided i wanted somthing else i bought the truck for 2800 and but about 700 in parts and sold it to a lady for 5000 with the money left over i payed of my 3800 dollar loan and bout my 1970 for 700 dollars but over the summer it side swiped a roll back and had to buy a truck for parts but since i work at a junk yard i found a truck right away 1971 red just like mine at the time i bought it for 175 dollars and rebuilt my ford so for less than a thousand you could say i bought 2 old trucks in farily good shape
my friend still cant believe i gave up my 97 dodge for an old red truck the dodge was black 4x4 short bed 360 magnum new automatic tranny and strait pipes but i love my old truck alot more well that might be because i own this one not the bank
1970 ford f 100
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

The first bumpside I ever drove was back in '77...It was my old girlfriend's 1972 Custom longbed with a camper shell and nice new radial white sidewall tires...What's not to like about a girl who drives a truck like that?...The reason I noted the tires is because back in those days,we all drove rust buckets with mismatched tires--missing hubcaps,rusty rims...One day she told me how she got the new tires...She and her old boyfriend went out one midnight to a local Ford dealer,where the securety was pretty lax,and stole four new spare tires off the new '77 trucks in the lot along with a new set of dog dishes...

One thing I remember doing with her in the front of the truck(never mind what we did in the back :twisted: )was switching drivers on the freeway w/o slowing down a bit...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Re: re: Truck stories?

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

Joe Kriston wrote: One thing I remember doing with her in the front of the truck(never mind what we did in the back :twisted: )was switching drivers on the freeway w/o slowing down a bit...
And you worry about ME on the streets?!? :lol: :twisted:
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!