Power Steering Box

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Power Steering Box

Post by 390FE1972 »

:yt: I have read very good reviews about them!
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
F100 Hillbilly

Post by F100 Hillbilly »

Thanks for the suggestion.
Here is what I have found.
Cardone 277504 for Walmart $137.69 Free shipping. No core mentioned.

Redhead $286 + 150 core (additional to ship)
Redhead is 18:1 What is the factory ratio?

I don’t mind spending the extra, but is it worth it?
What is better about Redhead?

FYI. My 1970 will have FordPerformance 302.
Front disc brakes from a 1976 F100. Lowered with Dream beams.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Summit has that Cardone

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-27-7504

They are a volume remanufacturer, I would consider them an absolute last resort...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
F100 Hillbilly

Post by F100 Hillbilly »

Are you referring to Cardone as last resort?
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

F100 Hillbilly wrote:Are you referring to Cardone as last resort?
Yes
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

F100 Hillbilly wrote:Thanks for the suggestion.
Here is what I have found.
Cardone 277504 for Walmart $137.69 Free shipping. No core mentioned.

Redhead $286 + 150 core (additional to ship)
Redhead is 18:1 What is the factory ratio?

I don’t mind spending the extra, but is it worth it?
What is better about Redhead?

FYI. My 1970 will have FordPerformance 302.
Front disc brakes from a 1976 F100. Lowered with Dream beams.
Here are a few quotes from people that have bought Redhead: "If they are selling you a Napa or O'Reilly's box, save your money. Most likely their rebuilt boxes will have a worn out shaft that comes out of the bottom of the box and neither of those companies rebush
that shaft, but RedHead Steering does. RedHead boxes costs more, but the others are usually worse than your original. Then I found out about RedHead Steering, who are the only ones that bore the casting and bushes it for that
shaft. I ordered a box from them; no more slop."

"If you need a new steering box, contact Red-Head Steering out of WA state... they're all the rage. Avoid local parts store steering gears...
all they do is change the seals and do a minor adjustment. Redhead will replace worn parts and rebuild it better than new. About $360 for a PS gear."
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
F100 Hillbilly

Post by F100 Hillbilly »

I looked at the Redhead, but also found Blue top which is a cousin to Redhead. Talked to Blue Top owner Ryan. (really nice guy)

From the reviews Redhead has begun some outsource machining that has compromised quality. Blue Top is all down in house with a 1 day turnaround.

From what I have read, Ford machined the sector shaft right into the cast iron housing. The shaft wears the race into an egg shape. Most rebuilds don't replace the race. Red Head & Blue Top install an actual bearing race that eliminates slop. That is why they are so expensive. I will probably go with Blue Top.
sparky72

Post by sparky72 »

I bought and installed a Red-Head around three or four months ago. I bought 2751; it was $285 plus the core. It's nice and tight. I looked at Blue Top as well but they were a bit more expensive, so I went with Red-Head.
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
gjack3xxx

Post by gjack3xxx »

never mind found tech article
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"F100 Hillbilly"I looked at the Redhead, but also found Blue top which is a cousin to Redhead. Talked to Blue Top owner Ryan. (really nice guy)

From the reviews Redhead has begun some outsource machining that has compromised quality. Blue Top is all down in house with a 1 day turnaround.

From what I have read, Ford machined the sector shaft right into the cast iron housing. The shaft wears the race into an egg shape. Most rebuilds don't replace the race. Red Head & Blue Top install an actual bearing race that eliminates slop. That is why they are so expensive. I will probably go with Blue Top.
Not real sure where you read that info from but from the proverbial "horses mouth" I'll say it's wrong.
I've owned no less than 10 Ford power steering boxes from the bump and dent era that I had on running driving trucks, (with prob 6 of those leaking from around the sector shaft on the bottom-the chronic failure point of why 95% of the boxes warrant replacement).

Every single box I tore down, (I had to rebuild my 76' Early Bronco back in the early 80's with a kit due to the cost and no availibility of a box back then) the sector shaft itself becomes "scored"/worn down where it meets the lower bearing bearing.

Fact remains that if the sector shaft is worn or scored you can throw new races and bearings in it every day of the week and it will always leak until you replace the sector shaft itself, (ask me how i know this...). :hw:
I'd gladly pay Redhead's or Blue Top's prices for the warranty/guarantee folks. :2cents:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4