Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Project 'Smokey' - '72 Ranger XLT

Post by Bullitt74 »

So got into the weeds a bit with the wiring - decided to install a back-up camera upgrade. Not sure if it is necessary, but I have small kids, and plan to be able to pull a trailer if necessary. Seems a worthwhile consideration while my dash and wiring is currently exposed.

I found this rear-view mirror with a 4.3" 480p screen on e-Bay, for $50 with free shipping from China. Felt like a good deal, and the mirror itself looks relatively stock compared to the old one. The Dennis Carpenter reproductions are a bit pricey at $70 US, so the e-Bay deal looked better and better.

The tough thing to figure out was where to position a camera. Luckily, I found this eSky license plate bracket with camera on Amazon for about $35. The quality seems quite good, and it even has night vision.

I ran the mirror harness up through the pillar, and wired it into accessory power and ground. This model has an auto-dimming feature (for headlights on highbeam behind), so it needs a constant power supply.

This is from the mirror harness. It has one RCA plug for the camera, and apparently the other for a DVD player. Who is watching movies in their rear view mirror?

Notice the RCA cable with a red wire - this is an option if you wish to use the same power supply for your screen and camera (the back up light power). Since my mirror requires the constant power provided by accessory, I didn't use this option.

Unfortunately, I had to drill a hole to run the wire cleanly through the bumper. This was a tough decision to make, but it turned out okay. I had to drill 2 more holes to secure the bottom fasteners. Did a bit of research on this, and these are the steps I used to drill through a chrome bumper:
1) Masking tape over the area to be drilled
2) Centre punch, pilot hole, drill slow and use lubricant (I use WD40)
3) When hole is finished, pull masking tape off by pulling towards the hole in all directions
4) Use a step bit (or larger bit) on opposite side to get rid of flash that will rust and also cut you (if you use a file, BE CAREFUL not to catch the chrome and lift it).
5) Prime and paint any bare metal to prevent rust
6) Seal area around hole with (clear) silicone to help prevent chrome plating from lifting and peeling
7) Use a rubber grommet if passing wires through the bumper.

I wish I would have taken some more pictures detailing the process, but if anyone has any questions please reply to this thread or send my a PM. I think this endeavour was fairly successful so far. :D

Steve F.
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
'72 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 390-2V, C6, Wind blue & Wimbledon White (‘Smokey’)
8)
2016 F150 Lariat FX4 Supercrew, Ruby Red
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

A couple cool little upgrades after I got my shipment from DC:

DC makes original style radio knobs for both D-shafts as well as split-shaft radios. Since my Custom Autosound unit has split shafts, why wouldn't I install the original style knob? Much nicer than the cheapo plastic knobs provided from Custom Autosound. 8) :woohoo:

This one is self-explanatory.
Steve F.
8)
Follow my build thread for 'Smokey': http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=85070
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Looks great Steve. I’m with you on the factory style knobs. Your becoming an expert at buffing as well.
Does the chrome light ring feel as good as the stock one?
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Very nice touch with the retro style radio and original style knobs! Love it!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
spliff08069

Post by spliff08069 »

Is that the Custom Auto Sound USA 630 II stereo you installed. I was looking at that unit but have also been told to check out the Retro Sound Laguna. Are you happy with your unit so far? Likes and dislikes? Trying to pick the best option while retaining the factory look. Thanks
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Definitely want the custom audio in my highboy when i get her there. This thing is fantastic! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

MikeB wrote:Looks great Steve. I’m with you on the factory style knobs. Your becoming an expert at buffing as well.
Does the chrome light ring feel as good as the stock one?
Absolutely - the font is a bit off (designed for the early Broncos I think), but it is shiny and new :thup:

I have lots of buffing to do this winter - need to get after that aluminum. The buffing wheel does scare me however, so finding it easier to use the wheel on the drill :o
Steve F.
8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

popeyes71 wrote:Very nice touch with the retro style radio and original style knobs! Love it!
Thanks Popeyes!
Steve F.
8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

spliff08069 wrote:Is that the Custom Auto Sound USA 630 II stereo you installed. I was looking at that unit but have also been told to check out the Retro Sound Laguna. Are you happy with your unit so far? Likes and dislikes? Trying to pick the best option while retaining the factory look. Thanks
It actually is the Custom Autosound 230 - I got that for my birthday from my wife and kids a few years back. It doesn't have the bluetooth and a couple features, but it does everything I need it to.

I figure that when my phone rings and I'm driving the old girl, my phone can just go ahead to voicemail...driving this old beast is just too much fun to interrupt with phone calls! :D
Steve F.
8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Manny wrote:Definitely want the custom audio in my highboy when i get her there. This thing is fantastic! :thup:
Thanks Manny!
Steve F.
8)
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Sorry for the radio silence - I took a break from this project over the summer...gardening, yardwork, kids, and fun at the lake. I figured I would have to rush things to get the truck on the road this summer, and I realize I'm having too much fun taking my time to restore each part as good as I can.

Not a lot left here - interior, finish up the dash, aluminum trim, clean up the engine bay, and probably dual exhaust this winter. I'll need some motivation to keep things moving, so please keep up with great comments and advice to keep me moving! 8)
Steve F.
8)
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I was starting to get concerned ...

This is one of my favorites so I’m looking forward to updates...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Its good to be balanced and its important to give your kids the time they deserve. Looking forward to seeing some progress on your truck! By not rushing through the project, you can be sure your attention to detail will be on point with your truck!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Bullitt74 wrote:Sorry for the radio silence - I took a break from this project over the summer...gardening, yardwork, kids, and fun at the lake. I figured I would have to rush things to get the truck on the road this summer, and I realize I'm having too much fun taking my time to restore each part as good as I can.

Not a lot left here - interior, finish up the dash, aluminum trim, clean up the engine bay, and probably dual exhaust this winter. I'll need some motivation to keep things moving, so please keep up with great comments and advice to keep me moving! 8)

Got you there its a balance gotta keep it up!!! Looking forward to more she is one of the nicest bumps there is!!! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Bullitt74
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bullitt74 »

Got my garage cleaned up this past weekend - bikes, scooters, camping stuff all back in the shed and on to more serious work. One of the things I had to move out of the way was this tailgate with XLT panel I picked up this summer that was located in the neighbouring province of B.C.:

My buddy graciously offered to pick it up on his way through. My XLT panel is in much worse shape than this.

Had to drill out about half the screws. That’s probably the right amount for a 50yo truck...

Not bad for $150...and I still can sell the tailgate and recoup some costs. The panel will get some aluminum polishing, recoat of black where black needs to go, and some new 3M Di Noc marine Teak vinyl wood grain trim. However, I think I’ll practice removing dings and polishing on some smaller pieces first. 8)

By the way - anyone know what kind of black is applied to the XLT tailgate trim? Gloss or semi-gloss? All I've ever seen around these parts is flat (sun-faded) black :lol:
Steve F.
8)