New horn ring to my steering wheel doesn't fit

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Jeepjerka

New horn ring to my steering wheel doesn't fit

Post by Jeepjerka »

Hello!
Bought a new horn ring to my 1970 F-250 but it's totally wrong. The center is much smaller than the original and the "legs" to the ring is in wrong angle (see pics).
Can anyone tell me if I have a non original steering wheel or any other clues?
Excuse me for my bad english :help:

// Jerry from Sweden
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: New horn ring to my steering wheel doesn't fit

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Jeepjerka"]Hello!
Bought a new horn ring to my 1970 F-250 but it's totally wrong. The center is much smaller than the original and the "legs" to the ring is in wrong angle (see pics).
Can anyone tell me if I have a non original steering wheel or any other clues?
Excuse me for my bad english :help:
// Jerry from Sweden
:wel: stop by the welcome mat and say hi when you get a chance.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

It appears to me that your truck has the basic / standard steering wheel that just uses a simple round horn button, (without the bar).
Scroll a few paragraphs down and you'll see the difference.
Wow a bump in Sweden! How is the shape of the truck? :roll:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/67-72ID_01.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I don’t think that horn ring is correct for a bumpside. I’m not sure what it is for, but the correct one has a deeper “V” at the top, where as this one is nearly straight across. Scratch that - see below

:wel:

Reminds me, we haven’t heard from swissranger in a while...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Jeepjerka

Post by Jeepjerka »

Hi!
Thanks for replying. :)
The old horn buttom has been with a ring as it seems (adding another pic showing that).
2018-05-20 20.06.15.jpg
The ring is from LMC Truck (part 45-0428) for a 1964-1970 F100/ F250.
My F250 Custom is mostly original. Never been repainted, boxwood green. Originally with the FE360 but now it has an FE390. Manual granny and a Dana 60 rear axle. Probably a newer molding on the tailgate and a 1971 grille. Runs great, but is in need of new front shocks.
I have replaced the seat cover. It has a nice patina and I really want to use it for what it's made for so I'm pleased
with the look. But here up in the north of Sweden it's hard to keep the rust away. Will see what to to in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Nice looking truck.

Do you know it was originally sold in Europe?

I think Jeff may be right in retrospect. Also does the steering wheel align with the column correctly, it looks like it is larger? I wonder if the wheel is from a larger truck, can you find any numbers on the steering wheel?
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Digging into google and my memory (I actually had a 68 Ranger wheel on my 72 for a while) ... I think that is the wrong steering wheel, or at least the wrong steering wheel for a USA truck.

The USA wheel has ribs on the spokes where that one has flats on the spokes. Also the rim on yours is ribbed on what I assume are the bottom two sections which I don’t remember about the 68 wheel. I believe the flattened spokes mean that it is supposed to have a horn ring that extends onto the spokes. My working theory is that it is from a larger truck or perhaps a Galaxie...
Robert

Jeepjerka

Post by Jeepjerka »

Hi again!

Now I´m getting it in to my mind....I Think :hmm:
If my whole column is replaced with one from a F350 it will explain it. I´ll try to find some number and mayby you guys can help me to know what it is- I really would like to know.

This truck was delivered to Houston when it was new and I bought it in october -17 and it arrived to me in late januari this year. I bought it outside Dallas, Texas so it has probably lived in Texas all it´s live- until now :)

I don´t think these trucks ever has been sold new in Sweden. Today there is only five Bumpsides for sale in Sweden right now, so they aren´t very common.

Regards// Jerry
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The wheel should line up with the column in diameter at the arrow I’ve added to your picture. It does not look like it does.
2018-05-20 20.06.15.jpg
I do believe an F350 is supposed to have the same steering wheel as a 100/250 in 70. I’m thinking bigger truck like F600 or F700.

At any rate if it were me I would probably just put the correct wheel on it.

http://dennis-carpenter.com/steering-wh ... DZ-3600-A/

You can paint it the correct color.

However, if you believe the column has been changed give us a picture of the end of the steering shaft with the steering wheel nut.

Was the prior owner of your truck a member here? It looks strangely familiar.
Robert

Jeepjerka

Post by Jeepjerka »

Alright. Now I see it. You are right- it's not lining up. And another thing, the turn signal is very near the steering wheel, so it might be the correct column and just the wrong wheel. Just need to look for the correct wheel. But it's expensive to buy from USA. Shipping and taxes will probably double the price. Bougth the horn ring when a helpful neighbour went to Florida and brought it home to me. Maybe look for an used one and someone willing to ship to Sweden. I'll figure it out somehow.
I don't know if the previos owner was/is a member here, but I would think it's possible.
Thanks // Jerry
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I'm thinking mid '70's van or P series cab over truck.

The F500 and up used a much larger diameter wheel which wasn't an issue since it was flatter. I think it would cut into your stomach with the small truck column angle.

Lookie here, even the same baby poop green...
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/08/1 ... -e300-van/

'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Jeepjerka

Post by Jeepjerka »

There it is- exactly like mine (and "baby poop green") :D :lol:
I´m fine with that conclusion- now I know what I have- and that I now know that one of my goals is to replace it with an "original" :fr:
I also found one similar to mine with the ring still in place.
Thanks a lot!!

Have a nice day! // Jerry
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Check out that air conditioner...

You are probably going to need some horn parts as well:

Also, since it is possible the column was replaced, check the steering wheel center nut, if the end of the steering shaft is essentially flush with the nut it is correct for up to 70. 71 and 72 stick out past the nut and the earlier wheel won’t fit without modifying the shaft or horn components.
Robert

Fordzert

Post by Fordzert »

were you able to fix the fitment issue?
Jeepjerka

Post by Jeepjerka »

It's resting for the moment.
I have wrong steering wheel and will buy the right one some day.
I have to wait for the right moment to avoid shipping costs or order it when I need to buy other stuff.
Shipping to Sweden costs almost as much as a new steering wheel :o
Jeepjerka

Post by Jeepjerka »

I couldn't resist it. Bought a new steeringwheel and here it is.
The horn button that came with this steeringwheel didn't fit to my horn ring, so I made one from the 50 anni[image][image][image][/image][/image][/image]versery logo. Not right, but I like it :t
newsteeringwheel small.jpg
hup: