Dana 44 disk swap all Ford vs Ford/Chevy?

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Dana 44 disk swap all Ford vs Ford/Chevy?

Post by JoshT »

I've asked here about disk brake conversion on dana 44 before, recommendation I received was to replace the whole axle with later model disk brake axle. Well that seems easier said than done around here. Having trouble finding a salvage yard with the correct axle, or even a vehicle old enough to potentially have the correct axle. Most of them scrapped the older vehicles on the lot a few years ago when scrap prices were high. Still determined to get disk brakes on the front of the 68 though, so it looks like I'll be piecing together a conversion for my current axle.

My understanding is there are two way to do this. One is to use all ford components from the knuckles out from a 76? up Bronco, F-100, or F-150. The other is to use my stock drum brake knuckles and mix Chevy spindles and calipers with Ford rotors and hubs. Both option seem to have their own advantages. With the all Ford swap most parts can be sourced from the same donor vehicle which makes it easy for ordering replacement parts, my understanding it that it also has more clearance for larger u-joints in the axle shafts. The hybrid swap uses the stock 6 bolt drum knuckle and seems easier to source parts for and overall the cheaper route for the conversion.

My question: Functionally, is there any difference between the all Ford brake conversion and the Ford/Chevy brake conversion? Is braking performance about the same?

I'm leaning towards the all Ford conversion, but am running into issue finding a local source for the steering knuckles. If this keeps up I may consider the hybrid route as well.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Dana 44 disk swap all Ford vs Ford/Chevy?

Post by cep62 »

In your info you state you have a '68 F100.
That axle has a king pin set up, not ball joints, so a later swap won't work .
So you might want to check into the chevy spindle swap.

F100 went to 4wd ball joints in '72 I believe.

I still think a '76-'79 donor with a '78-'79 tie rod set up is the way to go.
don't forget the diagonal / pan hard bar.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Well, ****...

I could have sworn it had ball joint axle when I looked under it. Now looking at the pictures I took it does look like a king pin axle. EDIT: Okay, just went back and looked at the previous thread, and apparently then I realized it had kingpins. Guess I've had too much on my mind with trying to keep the other truck running.

Back to square one and search for an axle or go the Chevy route I guess. Now knowing that I have kingpins I'd really rather replace the axle and get ball joints. Kingpins may be fine functionally, but I'm more familiar with and better equipped to replace ball joints. As I said previously, I'm having trouble finding one of those 76-79 axles locally. I can get the knuckles for them off eBay and piece together the rest of the brake swap myself, but finding a complete axle...

Still curious though if there is any functional/performance difference between the Ford or Chevy conversion. Might help sway the decision to keep searching or just run what I got for now.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

I did the C***y/Ford conversion on my 71 Bronco. There is no difference in the functionality of the 2 systems. They both stop the truck much better than the drums. When I did the conversion I kept all the drum parts I removed and gave them to someone that needed them for their rig. Don't toss them, someone can put them to good use.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Well looks like my decision has been made for me. Can get both calipers with pads for ~$50 at rock auto right now for the Ford/Chevy setup. Add a set of rotors and caliper brackets and I think the price will be about right. Also won't have spent so much on the conversion that won't be willing to swap to a later model Ford axle down the road. Just going to have to make myself a list of parts used for future reference.

I believe the axle already has a set of aftermarket lockouts installed. I believe they are Warn and look like what's now called the Warn Premium, but I'm pretty sure Warn only had one style back then I won't be able to check for a few days. Regardless of the brand, when I install the later model Ford rotors w/new hubs will I still be able to use the same lockouts?

So parts I'm about to order the following parts from Rockauto:

For 74 Blazer:
Calipers $15 ea. Wholesaler closeout (no core)
Pads $17 Wholesaler closeout
Spindle bearing and seals $10 ea.

For 79 F-150:
Rotor w/hub $66 ea.

Total before shipping ~$190 with discount

If I understand correctly I still need Chevy 6 bolt spindles, caliper brackets, wheel bearings, and brake lines.

Looks like I can get the spindles new on eBay for $75 each. I'll try to find used locally with the caliper brackets for a little less. Ford stuff is hard to find locally, but Chevys are everywhere.

Wheel bearings... I'll buy new, not going to skimp there. Do I need bearings for the 74 Blazer or the 79 F-150, or are they the same?

Brakes lines... 74 Blazer or custom lines that are made and sold for the early Bronco swaps?

If I get lucky with the spindles and brackets I might be able stay close to $300 for the whole swap using new (or reman) parts where it counts. Much better than $600+ for a swap kit. If I could find the right Dana 44 to swap locally, it'd probably be about $400 and at least another $300 refreshing the brakes and everything else while I was swapping.
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

Locking hubs will work with new hubs. When you get it all together you'll find that the spindle is just enough longer that the snap ring will not fit on the end of the stub axle. For piece of mind most people put a 7/16 X 1" bolt and fender washer in the threaded end of the axle. You will also need to find longer bolts (3/8 fine thread) for the spindle/caliper bracket. There are some good write-ups on the whole thing on the web.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

JoshT wrote:I'll try to find used locally with the caliper brackets for a little less. Ford stuff is hard to find locally, but Chevys are everywhere.
Yeah , the junkyards are full of chevies. :D
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Junkyard hunting will have to wait until I'm back in town next week. In the mean time I may have found used spindles I need on eBay for a price I can accept. Sent seller a question seeing if he could give more details and if he'll combine shipping. Figured I'd post here to see if anyone could ID them on sight and verify they are what I need.

Can't remember if I'm allowed to post links here, but here's the eBay Link if it works>>https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Dodge-Da ... 3137976217

If I can get two of them around that price with combined shipping, I wouldn't mind buying overpriced (IMO) caliper brackets off eBay to complete the set.