Hello from Alaska

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

RustedHistory

Hello from Alaska

Post by RustedHistory »

Hello everyone, my name is Austin. I am a 17 year old gearhead in Alaska, I own two 1971 Ford F250 Highboys. I've been using this website since 2015 when I bought my first '71. I bought the red Ford from a junkyard in 2015. It originally came off of a farm owned by a guy that abused everything he owned. It had been sitting since 1984. Originally a 300 inline six truck, but someone put a 360 in it somewhere along the line. I was pretty clueless about mechanics then, but I was up for the challenge. I worked on the truck all summer, going by this website, manuals, etc.. for help along the way. The truck needed a lot, I replaced the common parts such as points, rotor, cap, plug wires, etc. I ended up putting a whole new wiring harness in it out of a parts truck from the junkyard as the original was messed with and had wires twisted together with a piece of tape over it.. After a year of adding new and original parts to the truck, I got it running for the first time in over 30 years in 2016. The 360 purred, no issues at all with it. I got the original brakes pumped up again, put driveshafts in it, and drove it that whole summer around the gravel roads. That winter, I parked it for the winter and lost my input shaft seal. The spring of 2017 I pulled the transmission on my own, leaving the stick in it (I hate those NP435 spring loaded retainers.) I cleaned the transmission all up, replaced all gaskets and seals, and repainted it. The truck is close to being road ready now, I just did front wheel bearings last week on it, one drum was about to fall off because the spindle nuts came loose. Now, onto the green '71 F250. I traded a 1992 Dodge Dakota for the Ford in the summer of 2017. The truck was wrecked in 1991, and then was used to run a sawmill, the frame was shortened, and a long two piece driveshaft came off the transfer case to run the sawmill. It had a trailer axle on the back, they were driving it around on the front axle. I got the truck home, had it running the next day after some basic wiring to the ignition. It also has a strong 360 and an NP435 4-Speed. I cut a 4.10 geared limited slip rear axle out of an F100 at the junkyard and put it under my green Ford. I was lucky enough to find the highboy lift blocks, and I had to make my own U-Bolts out of several short ones. I then build a 10 ft. boom on the back of it with a chainhoist for a yard truck. I use it constantly, it's super handy. Check out some pictures below of both my trucks. Thanks for reading, I'm glad I finally got around to making an account on here.
Together.jpg
Red Ford.jpg
Green truck with trailer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Hello from Alaska

Post by basketcase0302 »

:wel:

Very impressive young man!
Especially creative on the green one. :wink:
Did either or both of them have PS or PB, (being 71' gave them both a better chance of doing so)?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
1970FordTK
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1970FordTK »

Way to go, nice 4x4s and welcome from North Carolina. :thup:
RustedHistory

Post by RustedHistory »

Thank you! Both are manual steering. The green one has boosted brakes, but I only got the fronts working since it's just a yard truck :lol:.
lennyp
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by lennyp »

:wel: from Massachusetts.
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

:wel: from California! Glad to hear the website was so useful to you and its great to see your to Highboys! Hope to see more of them. :fr:
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Austin, :wel: to the best site period. :fr:

Hope :pray: you like it here. :fr:

Pull up a chair and stay awhile. :fr:

Congratulations, you have accomplished quite a lot.
hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdman90 »

:wel: from Pennsylvania! Very impressive work, and hope to do some similar things here in the near future!
1969 F-100 LWB 2wd 240 3spd manual
1969 F-250 LWB 4wd 360 4spd manual
1976 F-250 Supercab LWB 2wd 390 4spd manual
RustedHistory

Post by RustedHistory »

Thank you! I'll get some more pictures together and post them here.
Fordzert

Post by Fordzert »

:wel: Nice trucks you have there