Spare Tire Mount - Underbed Bracket

Moderator: FORDification

gte619n

Spare Tire Mount - Underbed Bracket

Post by gte619n »

Hey guys,

I've got a 1970 F100 Ranger XLT long bed. I'd like to move the spare under the bed so it's easier to get sheet goods in and out. Does anyone sell a replacement mount for behind the rear axle?

Thanks,

E
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Spare Tire Mount - Underbed Bracket

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Best way to do that is get one of the ones that newer trucks have and fab a mount for it - the original design Ford used on our bumps was a nightmare............ :eek:............just make sure you get one from a road salt free state.........being able to crank it up and down with a cable and just pull it out from under is a lot nicer than having to lay on your back and having to try and balance the tire so it doesn't fall on you getting it out........ :D

Something like this.......
https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-03-FORD-F15 ... SwRNRbEsU6
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
gte619n

Post by gte619n »

While that does look way more usable, I was hoping for something I could bolt right on. Do these setups usually incorporate a jack or other things? Where was it stored in the original configuration. As it stands now, I've got a spare but no jack or anything, so it's all a bit moot.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Here's what the original looks like.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1972-FORD ... Sw5P9bDvov

The jack was stored under the hood on the driver side on the inner fender - should be a bracket there unless someone removed it - the jack handle and lug wrench were stored under the seat. As far as how the spare mount books on i think there were 2 bolts that suspended it from the frame between the rear end and the back bumper......I know where it goes and have a general idea of how it goes but have never seen one actually mounted......a lot of them got tossed over the years and I don't think mine ever had one.........I'll try to post a couple photos of the jack and handles unless someone beats me to it! Also someone on here might have all the stuff if that's the route you wanna go......

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
gte619n

Post by gte619n »

Well that quite, QUITE crusty...
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

gte619n wrote:Well that quite, QUITE crusty...

That was just for an example of what you need........good old rust belt salt parts........ :eek: .....that's why my truck came from Idaho........ 8)

If the stock setup is what you want throw an ad in the parts wanted and see if someone from the south or west has one laying around they want to part with...... :thup:
Last edited by Ohiotinkerer on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
gte619n

Post by gte619n »

Will do! Thanks for the tips!