Resurrecting dad's old 68 F-100 4x4

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Resurrecting dad's old 68 F-100 4x4

Post by JoshT »

Forgot to update Sunday. Didn't make it back out Saturday. Too hot and would have been too late to do much, but I did spend most of Sunday afternoon out there.

Couldn't get a good read on stroke measurement, so I'll have to wait until I open up the motor to find out what I have on the bottom end. Don't particularly matter, truck wasn't lacking for power. Even if it was a 352, I've been driving a 4wd V6 Ranger since 2005, so I think it'll be stronger that what I'm use to. Probably get almost as good of gas mileage too. :roll:

Got new plugs install, but managed to crack an insulator in the process. It'll cause a skip, but figure it would work well enough for a test fire so keep on working. I'll pick up another plug next time I pass by advance.

Installed most of the fuel system. Still got to mod the tank for fuel return before I get it reinstalled.

Drill hole in exhaust for O2 sensor. Go to install clamp on sensor bung, only to discover clamps sent with kit are too big for exhaust tube. I think that's another sign that I need headers and larger exhaust. Found a couple of old exhaust pipe clamps on the shelf, but was only able to get one of them to fit. It'd have an exhaust leak, but once again I figured it would work well enough to test fire. Once again I'll find a couple of clamps by the next time I stop by.

So I finally finish wiring everything up, grabbed a couple of gas cans. Like I said don't have the tank installed yet, but figured one full can for feed and one empty can for return will work to test fire. Stick the key in to start the truck, then remembered I need to go through setup wizard on EFI first. So finish wizard and get an error message. "File not found /Holley/FW0100/Wizard/4150_4ZA"

:cuss:

Well that was it for the night. I think I've figure out that I need to update the firmware on the SD card. Unless plans change I'll be back working on it Friday and should be able to get it running then. Once that's done, next up will be disc brake swap or tires, or maybe both.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

It's pretty important to get the O2 sensor on without a leak near it. The ECU will send the fuel management off in one direction and it may not even idle well.

I'll be following your build, mostly because I'm an FE addict and I like to see a young gun with some enthusiasm and willingness to take it on. 8)
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
:thup: project link: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=83642
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

I was mostly wanting to see and hear the fuel pump run to make sure I had it installed and wired right. Running for a few seconds would have been a bonus. Wasn't actually going to run for a while or drive, more like okay it starts, it runs, shut it off until next time. Doesn't matter now, I've got clamps that I think will fit and do the job, as well as a new spark plug and updated firmware on the SD card. Get everything buttoned up later today, possibly throw the tank in, and it'll be ready to run for real.

That'd be a hell of a birthday present for myself if successfully ran and moved under its own power today.

You can thank my 99 Ranger for the enthusiasm and willingness. I've dumped enough money into repeatedly fixing the Ranger over the years and I'm tired of it, was also getting to the point of needing a bigger/stronger truck. I have a 2010 Kia Forte for a Daily Drive and it's been excellent, but I hate not having a reliable truck and backup vehicle. Finally decided to stop talking about it and do something.

Next up will be getting Dana 44 converted to disc brakes. Got most of the parts, just got to decide on a master cylinder. Seems that a lot of Early Bronco owners that do the swap will just remove the residual check valve from the rear port of the stock master cylinder and use it with the disc. Might give that a try to see how it works. I'm certain that I will eventually swap to a later model master and different booster, but I'm still thinking about removing the body lift and, assuming my current parts are still good, would like to see what I'm left with for engine clearance before making a decision on those.

Once it's running and brakes are done I need to get tires and a new windshield. Since it hasn't been registered in 12 years it sounds like I'll need to get VIN verified by a law enforcement officer, which at this point is my biggest concern since it's a body swap and door tag doesn't match frame. Then I'll be able to get the it registered, tagged and on the road. After that things will slow down a lot and for a while I'll just be driving, maintaining and replacing worn out parts.

I think my next major projects will be creature comforts, namely seat, tunes, and climate control. Need a seat or upholstery work, foam and cover on this one were toast years ago. Later model bench would be nice, but not sure about fit, so will probably find a good core and attempt to recover myself. Like listening to music while driving, but don't like local radio stations. Eventually I'll adapt a din style radio to the dash and speaker boxes behind the seat, for now I might just settle for a cheap boom box in the passenger floor board. I want to drive this truck year round and it gets hot here, AC will eventually happen, but I don't know when. In the mean time I'll be relying on the good ole 2/55 climate control, but I might convert to power windows to make it easier to operate. Also thinking about swapping to a sliding back glass since I need to replace that window gasket anyway.

In other news, I'm 33 as of a few hours ago (its 3 am here). Since I'm getting closer to being an old man now, I think I better go take a nap so I can get to work on the truck later. :lol:
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Happy Birthday

Hit up the Holley EFI forum and run through the initial checks if you have not already.

And ummm like more pictures...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Keep up the good work!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Okay, so didn't get much done last weekend unfortunately. Went out last Friday (7/13) got return installed in fuel tank and tank back in the cab. Changed the oil, connected hoses and went to get 5 gallons of gas before dinner. After dinner hit another snag, the gas cap had glued itself into place. Dad got the cap cut off saturday morning, and I picked up a new cap on my way over, but thunderstorm set in for the rest of the day. Pics as requested.

Not really enough room on these tanks to get a hand inside for installing the tank return fitting. Instead I found some scrap aluminum at work and made this little plate to install the return in. Much easier than trying to attach all that inside the tank. If you try this method, move it a little further from the pickup tube. There's a thick steel doubler installed in the tank there that screws won't cut into well.
[image]739[/image]

Closed up the hole in the floor under the tank. Not concerned about water or rust spreading there, just want to keep out little critters and prevent wind noise. This stuff is thick, many times thicker than the HVAC stuff that you'll find at Home Depot (don't ask, I don't know where to get it).
[image]740[/image]

Tank back in place
[image]741[/image]

Work and sleep schedule kept me away from the truck this week, so was finally able to get back on it today.

Holley Sniper EFI installed and wired. Nice clean unit looks a bit out of place in this engine bay. I know wiring needs cleaned up a lot, but it'll do for now. Only issue is the throttle will only open 83% before the throttle shafts hits the intake manifold. Need to pick up a thin carburetor spacer to get clearance, but it'll be a while before I get to the point of opening the throttle that much.
[image]743[/image]

Got return hose routed and used some high tech clamping.
[image]746[/image]
[image]745[/image]
[image]744[/image]

As you say previously the seat is in pretty rough shape, but don't know what direction I want to take on the interior and didn't want to spend money on upholstery until then. Cut up a piece of high density foam to fill the gaps in the seat and put a cover on to get my by. Little lumpy, but it feels better than springs and will do until I get it fixed properly. Got the seat set back in, not bolted down, but it worked for what I needed. That being a place to sit while I pressed the pedals.
[image]749[/image]

Something's missing
[image]747[/image]

There it is
[image]748[/image]

Did the initial fire shortly after getting to my parents house today, neither of them were there at the time. After running through the sensor verification, I found the only issue was the TPS wouldn't go above 83% (hitting intake) which isn't really an issue right now, so it was ready for first start since parked over a decade ago. Turned the key to start, it spun over about 5 time, fired and ran. Lots of smoke due to the oil I'd put in the cylinders and have some exhaust leaks, but it's running good. :D

Shut off the truck and went to working on the seat until dad got home. When he gets there I go mess with the truck a bit like I'm working on something. Get him to come over and "lets see what happens". Fired off quicker this time and no smoke.

Dad: :eek: :D

He couldn't believe that after sitting that long it started "easier than it ever had" and was running that well.

So mom has been the naysayer about this whole project, we knew it even though she wouldn't admit it until today. She was off at a baby shower for a cousin and wasn't getting home until later in the evening so we were trying to decide how to surprise her with it. Dad wanted to get her to man the fire extinguisher while we "test fired" it. Too obvious. Hide it behind the shop and see if she notices, she never does. Finally we decided on parking it beside the F-250 and see the reaction. That worked. Parked it just before she pulled into the driveway and her jaw hit the floor. At first she thought we moved it with the tractor, then I reached in and turned the key.

That's it for this update. It'll probably be next weekend before I can get back on it again. Next up is brakes and figuring out why the brake lights and turn signals don't work.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Great story man, and great job!
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Anymore updates?
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Not much progress, got it pulled into dad's shop and front wheels off yesterday. Let me tell you, after 10+ years those lug nuts did not want to break loose. Got hit by a nest of full paper wasps at my house this (Sunday) morning and haven't feel like doing much after that. I'll either get some pics posted up tomorrow or later in the week after getting a little more done.
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

That's great that it's moving under its own power.

You have me a little nervous with the routing of the two fuel lines for the Sniper. Both seem to be headed toward the exhaust

:eek:
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
:thup: project link: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=83642
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

It's no closer to the exhaust than stock fuel lines run, probably not as close. Exits engine bay behind/beside the cab mount and routed over the frame rail, routed outside the frame rail from there to the tank. Less than ideal, but it'll do until I convert to a rear bounted tank.

Thought I had pics uploaded that showed the fuel line routing. If I can't find them on my computer, I'll get some next time I'm over working on it.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Well you have a ton of wiring to clean up so a small fuel line change will be easy :D .
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

WhitsEnd wrote:You have me a little nervous with the routing of the two fuel lines for the Sniper. Both seem to be headed toward the exhaust
If I had headers it would probably be an issue. Still have factory logs and plenty of clearance there, doesn't show up well in the picture below, but there a few inches of clearance. Will be securing them better and might install a heat shield.

[image]769[/image]

Will eventually get headers and new exhaust, but will be relocating the gas tank first. Rerouting the fuel lines will go along with the tank relocation.
hfdco4 wrote:Well you have a ton of wiring to clean up so a small fuel line change will be easy :D .
Wiring is actually better than it looks, just needs to be tidied up a bit. Obviously I haven't bothered cleaning up the Sniper wiring yet, wanted to make sure I had it installed and wired right first. Most of what looks bad is wiring from the Duraspark conversion dad did decades ago and the electric trailer brake controller that's no longer installed. Seems like I have the Sniper wired right, so that'll get cleaned up soon. I'll be swapping Duraspark for Holley DualSync (or HyperSpark) controlled by the Sniper, so not going to spend much time on that wiring. Everything else will be worked on along.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

So this weekend was focused on starting the disc brake swap, but didn't get as far as I would have liked.

Left it last weekend with the front wheels removed

[image]783[/image]

Most of thats got to go. The Warn hubs are about all thats staying. Once I'm done I'll be making a separate thread about the swap.

[image]784[/image]
[image]785[/image]

Got hubs off. Thought I was going to have to pull the hub and drum together, but the drum turned loose and came off. Noticed that cracked plastic ring when I pulled the hub. I'm going to run it for now, but will be prepared to replace if it gives me any trouble.

[image]778[/image]

Pulled the six bolts holding the backing plate on and removed as an assembly.

[image]779[/image]

Was expecting a fight to get the spindles off. Big rubber mallet and a pry bar actually made quick work of it, and didn't even hurt the old spindles.

Anyone need a set of 68 Ford Dana 44 drum brake spindles, or any of the other drum brake parts for that matter?

[image]780[/image]
[image]781[/image]

Spindle is off, but was not expecting that oil slinger from the pics I'd seen of the conversion. Scared me for a minute that I had wrong parts, I'd bought seal kit for 74 Blazer, after some searching I found Blazer used the same oil slinger set-up.

[image]782[/image]

New spindle and caliper bracket in place. Hit a snag on passenger side and this is as far as I got. Somehow I managed to completely strip one of the bolts for the spindle on the passenger side. Checked every place open on a sunday and none had a 3/8-24 heli-coil kit. Dad's checking with the local mom & pop shop tomorrow, if they don't have it I'll be ordering online and done for the week.

Had an interference issue with the throttle shaft lever and my intake manifold, throttle percentage topped out at 83% which is still probably more than necessary. Wasn't much interference so I added a 1/4" thick base gasket (Mr. Gasket 758) under the Sniper EFI, gave all the clearance needed.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Any updates on the brake work?
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO