wheel/tire combos, you guys are messing up my plans

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

wheel/tire combos, you guys are messing up my plans

Post by JoshT »

So tires are old, been sitting in the same spot for so long I think the flat spots are probably permanent. Even if they would hold air and smooth back out, at 12+ years old I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, and that ain't far. That's got me tire shopping and tire shopping usually also gets me in the mood of looking at wheels, so...

I've been browsing the forums for a while now and looking at pictures of you guy's trucks is really messing with my plans for my F-100. My truck will be used mostly for street/highway driving with some dirt roads and will be a working truck so don't want huge tires or a lot of lift. I was planning to remove the body lift and stick to a 32x11.5 on 15" wheels for a good driver. Here recently I've been paying more attention to your trucks 35s and love the stance even though it isn't for me. It has had me seriously considering swapping the body lift for suspension lift and moving up to 33s.

In addition to the larger tire, I've been seeing your trucks with larger wheels whether its 16, 16.5, or 17. I've also seen a few 2wd F-100s on Craigslist wearing larger 16-17" wheels. I never thought I'd want to move above a 15" wheel on these trucks, but looking at these trucks I've realized that I like the look of a larger wheel on them. Even more than that I really like the wheel/tire ratio of a 16-17 wheel and a 33-35" tire. It's a subtle change, but it makes a big difference.

So now y'all have not only got me considering a larger tire, but also searching the net for a 17" wheel with classic styling that I like. I'm liking the looks of Bajas or Slot Mag style in a 17.

Just wanted to ask if y'all could kindly stop posting pictures of your trucks with 35s and/or larger wheels. :P

Seriously though this temptation is getting harder and harder to resist and these good looking trucks aren't helping the situation any. Pretty sure that for now I'm going with a set of 32x11.5R15 Falken Wildpeak AT3w on the steel wheels it's currently running, which I think are from a later (80s-90s) model F-150. Used these tires on my Ranger and on dad's F-250 and we both like them. Really want to swap to aluminum wheels, but just can't bring myself to spend the money on them when there's this doubt in my mind about what I want to end up with.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body