North Idaho Driver

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Joshgt87

Re: North Idaho Driver

Post by Joshgt87 »

Wow!! That trim turned out fantastic!! Loving your truck!
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Looking real good!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

Joshgt87 wrote:Wow!! That trim turned out fantastic!! Loving your truck!
hfdco4 wrote:Looking real good!
Thanks guys. The windshield gasket came in so I am going to the glass shop tomorrow afternoon for the new windshield. I have found a new (old) tailgate with all the trim. It is in much better shape than the tailgate I've got. My present tailgate is bowed on the inside and you can hear the rust rattling around inside it when I close it. Looks like I may be doing a little body work after all.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow.
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdman90 »

Body work isn't hard, just take your time. You got this. Can't wait to see how it looks when it's done!
1969 F-100 LWB 2wd 240 3spd manual
1969 F-250 LWB 4wd 360 4spd manual
1976 F-250 Supercab LWB 2wd 390 4spd manual
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

I went to the glass shop today with the Dennis Carpenter sourced gasket. Unfortunately the gasket was not correct. Either I ordered the wrong gasket or DC shipped the wrong gasket. Either way, I will need to get another gasket. As fate would have it, the gasket is out of stock until September 1st so the windshield will have to wait at least another two weeks. Bummer.

When I got home and parked, I noticed a fairly significant oil leak had developed under the front of the engine. I literally went from no leak to a tablespoon or two on the ground and a bunch or oil slung back on the frame cross member and oil pan. It looks to me like the front seal on the timing cover is at fault. Why it would fail all at once without a slow drip or two first is a mystery. Looks like I'll be taking the front of the engine off before I go anywhere.

I have ordered a new seal and gasket kit along with a new water pump. I might as well replace the water pump while I have things apart. This work will likely speed up my engine painting plans.
hdman90 wrote:Body work isn't hard, just take your time. You got this. Can't wait to see how it looks when it's done!
As for the body work, well I guess I have something new to learn. Other than sanding some surface rust and spraying primer I have never really tackled body work. I hope your confidence is warranted hdman90!

At least what I am starting with is not too bad. Most of the trim is in fairly good shape. It is pretty straight and as far as I can tell the rust is just on the surface. Here's a photo of the new tailgate I sourced after a soap and water wash.

There are a couple dents that don't really show in the photos. The back side is nice and flat with only surface scratches and oxidation.

-Chris
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdman90 »

Wow! That gate is ridiculously straight and rust free! Looks like I should move to Idaho!... If it only has a few dings, then its the perfect candidate for body work. Since you can't get to the opposite side of the tail gate (dual walled structure) the only way to "fix" the dings is to drill a hole and use a slide hammer (unnecessary drilling and welding for that small of a hole if you ask me), or just use filler.

What are your plans to make it straight before you paint and install it?
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

hdman90 wrote:Wow! That gate is ridiculously straight and rust free! Looks like I should move to Idaho!... If it only has a few dings, then its the perfect candidate for body work. Since you can't get to the opposite side of the tail gate (dual walled structure) the only way to "fix" the dings is to drill a hole and use a slide hammer (unnecessary drilling and welding for that small of a hole if you ask me), or just use filler.

What are your plans to make it straight before you paint and install it?
No plans as yet. I don't know enough to have a plan! :lol: I'll be reading, watching YouTube videos and learning. Maybe when I know enough to ask intelligent questions I will talk to a local body man or two and then go from there.

I think the dents are small enough that I may be able to just use a little filler. I'm all ears for pointers, suggestions or sources of information!
-Chris
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdman90 »

I redid a tail gate for a local guy with a '78 in very similar condition... Scuff it up, clean it, apply minimal filler as smooth as possible, sand with a straight block of wood, and your finger tips are your best friend for feeling for smoothness... if your fingertip can feel the edge, it will show in the paint!
I learned it all from my dad, so talking to a body guy and watching him work may be the best bet!
Best of luck!
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

This morning I started on the repair of my front oil leak. I removed the radiator, hoses and belt.

Harmonic damper puller installed

and now with the water pump and timing cover removed

Finally, the source of the oil leak, a trashed front seal:

Now before I just install a new seal, I need to figure out why this happened. Did the seal just wear out, or is it due to a problem with the damper surface. Here is a close up of the damper surface.

I don't know if the ridge you can see in the picture is normal or a problem. It looks from the wear marks that the seal surfaces are riding just behind this ridge (the ridge is outside where the seal sits. The surface the seal rides on appears to be smooth. Is this normal? I haven't had one of these engines apart so I don't know if I have bigger problems. I'm thinking the surface should be entirely smooth. Not wanting to double post, I am going to take this problem/question to the "Engine" sub forum and seek guidance.
-Chris
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

WOW I love this thing!!! What an awesome truck you building there. Sadly i just checked in on it. As for the damper pulley it looks like very little wear on it. I imagine your just suffering old seal wear. the 300's i have seen they are smooth. However if the seal is not splitting that groove no problem. Looks great can't wait to see more. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Lookout Point Driver

Post by Lookout Point Driver »

I’m worried your rig is gonna get so nice you won’t let me drive again. Congrats on the many upgrades. Or should I say back grades. When will your new tailgate be seen going down the road?
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

From your pictures, it looks like someone has been inside that motor at some point in time and installed a sleeve on the harmonic balancer. The surface of the sleeve looks smooth but the only bummer part to me is that the sleeve is just a little to short for my taste. Causing the outer most part of the seal to ride on the edge of the sleeve. Really, its not that big of a problem since the inner part of the seal is what is really holding back the oil from leaking out. I would put a new seal in and put it back together.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

Lookout Point Driver wrote:I’m worried your rig is gonna get so nice you won’t let me drive again. Congrats on the many upgrades. Or should I say back grades. When will your new tailgate be seen going down the road?
I don't imagine I'll get to the body work for awhile. Still have some more pressing projects. You can drive it anytime!
popeyes71 wrote:From your pictures, it looks like someone has been inside that motor at some point in time and installed a sleeve on the harmonic balancer. The surface of the sleeve looks smooth but the only bummer part to me is that the sleeve is just a little to short for my taste. Causing the outer most part of the seal to ride on the edge of the sleeve. Really, its not that big of a problem since the inner part of the seal is what is really holding back the oil from leaking out. I would put a new seal in and put it back together.
Yeah, the motor has seen some work. The guy I bought it from had receipts for a recent valve job and new rings. Who knows how many times it has been apart over the years! I have pressed a new seal on the damper. I'm doing some engine paint touch up before I get it back together. Here's her state as of today, getting ready for a bit of paint.

I wish I could find some Dupli-Color in a pint can. There are some spots I just can't get to with a rattle can while the engine is still in the truck. Going to be a bit of a half baked effort, but at least the main parts will all be the same color.

-Chris
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Nice job cleaning your 4.9 inline six. You’re like me, did it all by hand. :thup:
(unfortunately mine still has leaks at the rear seal).
Holly 1940 1 bbl carbureter is a better carb for the Ford Big Six too. It’s an aftermarket replacement.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Looking good be a very nice engine. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).