Original Headliner Color?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Idaho Chris

Original Headliner Color?

Post by Idaho Chris »

I'm looking to re-do my headliner. Did the trucks come from the factory with colored headliners to match the interior or were they all that light grayish color I have seen on a couple local trucks (also the color Dennis Carpenter sells)? I couldn't find anything specific in the Forum Library so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Original Headliner Color?

Post by Busboy »

I color matched mine to a "butternut" from Home Depot.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Idaho Chris"]I'm looking to re-do my headliner. Did the trucks come from the factory with colored headliners to match the interior or were they all that light grayish color I have seen on a couple local trucks (also the color Dennis Carpenter sells)? I couldn't find anything specific in the Forum Library so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

I could've swore that my 71' had a tan colored to match the tan paint color? :hmm:
In the salesman's literature it does boast on the 71's "New Standard Features" as having had the "Attractive sponge grained headliner", (to which mine was like perforated with tiny holes all in it to vent better)?
This tells me there was a difference in them-even though I can't find any mention of color changes.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

Busboy wrote:I color matched mine to a "butternut" from Home Depot.
My intent had been to color mine as well, I am just not sure what the original color was.
basketcase0302 wrote:I could've swore that my 71' had a tan colored to match the tan paint color? :hmm:
In the salesman's literature it does boast on the 71's "New Standard Features" as having had the "Attractive sponge grained headliner", (to which mine was like perforated with tiny holes all in it to vent better)?
This tells me there was a difference in them-even though I can't find any mention of color changes.
Thanks for the literature. I guess the headliners changed at least at some point in the model run. I'd still like to determine if all '69's came with the same color headliner before I take a paint can to mine...
-Chris
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Bigcalhoun

Post by Bigcalhoun »

My Mojave’s tan ‘70 has a light tan / cream color headliner. Can’t 100% vouch for the originality but I think it is.
'70 F100 Sport Custom, 302
Idaho Chris

Post by Idaho Chris »

Bigcalhoun wrote:My Mojave’s tan ‘70 has a light tan / cream color headliner. Can’t 100% vouch for the originality but I think it is.
From what I could research here and on other sites, I believe the original headliner (at least in the non-Ranger models) was the same light tan color with perforations irrespective of body color. The headliner Dennis Carpenter sells is probably as close as one can get. Here's a photo of the DC headliner I installed a couple of months ago. Is this close to yours?

-Chris
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

All of them that I've seen up through the mid 70's were some shade of white.

I cut up a sheet of powder coated white aluminum backsplash and used it for a headliner. Buddy years ago used the corrugated liner to an above ground pool for his '65. He also didn't install any sound deadener and it felt like riding in an old oil drum going down the road.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Idaho Chris wrote:
Bigcalhoun wrote:My Mojave’s tan ‘70 has a light tan / cream color headliner. Can’t 100% vouch for the originality but I think it is.
From what I could research here and on other sites, I believe the original headliner (at least in the non-Ranger models) was the same light tan color with perforations irrespective of body color. The headliner Dennis Carpenter sells is probably as close as one can get. Here's a photo of the DC headliner I installed a couple of months ago. Is this close to yours?

The one I got from DC was gray perforated and I didn't see where there was any option.......would love to had that because I wouldn't have had to paint mine..... :cuss:.........I painted mine the color of the headliner trim and steering wheel and column - the factory one seemed to be the same tan/parchment color so I figured to would be correct.......... :hmm:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR