Hello from Athens, GA

A place for new members to introduce themselves

Moderator: FORDification

Reederblair1

Hello from Athens, GA

Post by Reederblair1 »

Brand new to the site. My wife just informed me that I will be in charge of making her father’s 1972 F-100 street worthy. Her dad wanted to sell it but my wife “wasn’t ready” to part with that part of her childhood. Insert rolling eye emoji here. Lol. So I was dubbed head of restoration project “Dad’s truck.” I have zero experience in restoring anything automotive. I have done small projects over the years such as brakes, small electrical projects, rear bearings in a Volvo suv, and other consumables. My motor experience is limited to a shop class in 1992 where we tore down and rebuilt a 5hp Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine. Have I painted a picture of being in over my head yet?

Having said all of that, I am a sucker for a challenge. I have a mechanical mind, love taking things apart to see if they can be repaired, etc. I am setting a reasonable goal of making minimal changes to the truck to make it reliable. This will mean goals such as cleaning up motor, tuning as little as possible, replacing the “have to’s” so to speak, possibly disc breaks over the drum, good tires, comfortable seat, stopping rust and filling holes. This will not be a hot rod, and may the good Lord allow me not to have a need to pull the motor for any reason. I think this site is awesome and very informative. I will gladly give any information to anyone who asks, but I foresee myself asking for way more advice/info/opinions/help than giving it. I look forward to taking this journey and talking with everyone.

P.S. truck isn’t here yet but will be in a few weeks. From what I hear, it’s a 1972 F-100 fleetside, 302, automatic, white and red, holes in cab floor and bed, was “rebuilt once” 20 Plus years ago, and probably has over 200,000 miles on that motor. Supposedly runs.
Idaho Chris

Re: Hello from Athens, GA

Post by Idaho Chris »

Can't wait to see a photo or two. Welcome from another newbie!
-Chris
1969 F250 4x4 4spd 300 I6
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

:wel:

Sounds like a fun project to me, be sure to get pictures... where has it spent most of its life (not in the rust belt I hope)... red and white :thup: short bed or long?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Reederblair1

Post by Reederblair1 »

Long bed, last two years was parked under a tree at some shade tree guys house who was working on transmission. Have a few pics but not sure how to add them using an iphone. Can try tonight when I get home to computer
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:wel: from your neighbor to the north! I'm about 2 hours NW of you in Jasper. Looking forward to following your project 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.