Torque Converter Removal

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

jf100

Torque Converter Removal

Post by jf100 »

I am new to swapping out an engine and transmission. I have a torque converter that did not come out when I pulled the transmission. Is that normal? If so, then how do I get the torque converter off without doing any damage to the gear that is connected to the torque converter. I do not have much help other than this site. Thanks for any info that you can pass along.

jf100
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Torque Converter Removal

Post by basketcase0302 »

"jf100"I am new to swapping out an engine and transmission. I have a torque converter that did not come out when I pulled the transmission. Is that normal? If so, then how do I get the torque converter off without doing any damage to the gear that is connected to the torque converter. I do not have much help other than this site. Thanks for any info that you can pass along.
jf100
Did it stay on the engine side or is it attached to the transmission still? :hmm:
This might be a hard procedure to explain on the keyboard but I'll try... :pray:
Look at this image and you'll see the nut, (part #34393)-there will be four of them holding the torque converter onto your ring gear. You'll have to first pull the inspection cover on the bottom of the transmission housing, (usually held on with two small bolts). Once you get the cover out of the way then you can spin the engine around by hand, (advise on not putting a socket on the balancer pulley bolt) a little at a time until each bolt/nut combo is visible on the bottom, (as you face forward looking at the rear of the engine) where you can get a socket onto them to remove. Once all four nuts are removed the torque converter will slide off/out of the ring gear.
If your looking at the torque converter still on the transmission, (that you have out of the truck) simply pull the torque converter off of the transmission will a little force, (the seal is the only thing holding it onto the transmission at that point).

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
jf100

Post by jf100 »

The torque converter is on the engine side. The engine is out of the truck and is on the ground at this point. I am borrowing a engine hoist so I can get it into the air. You have been a great help. Like I said first time doing an engine rebuild and engine and tranny swap.

jf100
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4