Anti-Rattle Kit issues

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

thazard1

Anti-Rattle Kit issues

Post by thazard1 »

First off, I am working on a 1967 F100. I have been fighting issues with my anti rattle kit installation in the door windows for quite a while now. After the first installation, my windows were so tight in the new channel seals, that I would pull the bottom window rails rightoff. So I bought new rubber for the rails and installed the rails bock onto the bottom of the windows. Same thing, pulled right off. So, I bought new rails and installed them with new rubber with the same results. My original concern was that the joint where the bottom whisker strips (anti-rattlers) meet the channel seal at the rear, was the pinch point. I have removed the anti rattle strips completely and have found that the window is just tight in the channel seal all of the way around. As I look closer at the channel seal fit, I see that the seal is just too large for the channel. It does not snap in at the bottom as it should. I have looked at all of the posts addressing the installation of the anti rattle kits and no one seems to be having these issues. Are the 1967's different than other years? I have purchased so many window seals and anti rattle strips from so many companies through all of this, I'm not sure whos seals these are for sure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Anti-Rattle Kit issues

Post by Busboy »

I've purchased and installed complete weatherstripping kits from Dennis Carpenter for a 67 and a 69, no problems.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I"ve used a silicone lube in the channels of newer cars with rubber seals , that may help in your case.

Is there a way to pry the channels open wider?

Also can you adjust the bottom of the channels front to rear ?
maybe even slot the bolt holes so there's more space between them. / \
thazard1

Post by thazard1 »

Just looked on Dennis Carpenter, and I don't think they offer the weather strip for the '67's anymore. Just the anti-rattle strips. That's my problem. Like you, it seems like everyone had good luck with this repair but me. I consider myself mechanically inclined, but I feel it's something I'm doing wrong. I am going to buy a set of plastic trim tools and try to do a better job of seating the weather strip in the channels.The channels are pretty fixed in the rear especially, so don't think spreading them is an option. I will buy some spray silicone and try that too.
One more question to add. Do the ends at the rear of the anti rattle strips fit between the weather strip and the channel? That seems the logical place to insert them, but it does make a pinch point.
thazard1

Post by thazard1 »

It just occurred to me what you meant by " adjust the bottom of the channels front to rear ? Maybe even slot the bolt holes so there's more space between them." That is a great Idea that I overlooked. That might be my biggest issue. I will look at that tomorrow. Thank you.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

I had to pound the fuzzy channels into the groove to seat them fully. They snapped in when I did that.

I used a piece of board the thickness of the glass, put it in the channel and hammered against it (I think I used a piece of Masonite) until it was all the way in TIGHT. Is this what you’re talking about - “anti rattles”?