Getting the CORRECT carpet

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

erikhillard

Getting the CORRECT carpet

Post by erikhillard »

Hey all! I'm finally ordering carpet for my 68 F100 and want to make sure I am getting the correct one. I'm not sure if I have a C6 transmission or not. Its 2WD, cab in truck, and column shift with D 2 1 gear markings. I'm not sure if its "high hump" or "low hump".. I'm attaching some photos hoping that can help determine what I need.

I have found what looks to be a good deal on ACC carpet via RockAuto.com

I believe this is the correct carpet for my truck
ACC 17406232 Loop; Molded; Complete; With Mass Backing;
Reg Cab; 2WD; Automatic Trans.; 3 Speed; w/Gas Tank in Cab; Column Shift

Sorry, not sure why the photos are rotated oddly. They are correct on my computer but when I attach them they are not.
IMG_1928.JPG
IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
DuckRyder

Re: Getting the CORRECT carpet

Post by DuckRyder »

Does the tunnel bolt on?

What engine?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

If it's a high hump the tranny tunnel has a removable cover and a hole cut in the floor like this http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=75781
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

I peeled back the insulation and took the below photo. It does have a bolt on tunnel. Engine is a 390 but I don't believe its original.

So this is High Hump C6?
IMG_1941.JPG
again, so sorry about the photo rotation. no idea why the forum is rotating the photos oddly as they are correct on my computer

This would be the correct carpet then?

ACC 17404232 Loop; Molded; Complete; Original C-6 automatic transmission is a high tunnel; With Mass Backing;
Reg Cab; Auto C-6 Trans; 2WD; 4WD; w/Gas Tank in Cab; Column Shift
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Definitely a high hump tunnel. Carpet appears to be correct. Being a 390 the tranny is most likely a C6. You can tell by the bell housing. On a C6, the bell housing is integrated into the case. On a C4, it bolts on.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

Thank you so much for the guidance! Greatly appreciated :fr:
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

Thanks guys! The ACC carpet fits very well and the backside impressions mostly lined up and made the cuts needed easy
carpet.jpg
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Use a ton of 3M 27 spray adhesive on the backing and it'll give you years of life. Otherwise it won't conform well and will give you fits.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
erikhillard

Post by erikhillard »

Ranchero50 wrote:Use a ton of 3M 27 spray adhesive on the backing and it'll give you years of life. Otherwise it won't conform well and will give you fits.
Thanks! I have one can of Permetex Carpet Adhesive but will probably get more. I had to put the seat back in for some errands this week. Figure I'll wait for a hot day to actually glue it in place. Got a seat cover en route too and might yank the seat to install it too.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I'd glue it in before it takes any bad habits. Start in the center hump, peel one side up and work from the hump out and down. Pedals are a PITA to work around. I ended up spraying the firewall behind them and held the carpet away from the floor while dressing it in. It was worth it, the carpet contoured to the floor well. I also ended up with a factory rubber mat. I made my high hump a low hump just so the mat would fit.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.