Stupid question of the day: front-wheel-drive-only truck?

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Stupid question of the day: front-wheel-drive-only truck?

Post by FORDification »

I just had a strange idea, haven't even thought it through yet, but here goes anyway.

If someone were to remove the rear driveshaft on a 4WD and just drive on the front differential, essentially creating a front-wheel-drive truck, would there be any repercussions? I don't know enough about how 4WDs are set up, so it's just an off-the-wall question.

Here's why I'm asking...

There have been many cases of folks taking older Oldmobile Toronados, which are front wheel drive BTW, and building a custom car hauler. They'd cut off the back half of the cars frame and essentially weld on a custom trailer, complete with heavy-duty trailer-type axles. Here's a pic of one example at 442.com:

Image Image

(If the pics don't show, go to http://www.442.com/tech/hauler.html)

I have some spare truck parts, and just thought it would be interesting to toss around the idea of creating something similar out of a Ford truck. I'm just curious if it might be better to graft on the front half of a front-wheel-drive chassis or if it could be done with all Ford parts and still be reliable and sturdy. I'm not sure if the factory 4WD parts would hold up in such a vehicle.

Any thoughts?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Stupid question of the day: front-wheel-drive-only truck

Post by Redcap »

The problem with running FWD only on a t-case type setup is the fact that you are running on half a gear.
oldfordnut

Post by oldfordnut »

well sure it would work i blew out my rear end in my 79 ford 4x4 and drove it home with the front tires then lost a u joint on the rear driveshaft and drove it 10 miles home off the front tires (after i picked up the drivshaft of course) so yes you can do it but the gears are set up for torque so you would have higher rpms and be louder in the gear box... just my 2 cents :D
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

2 things-
I drove my 4x4 from LAS VEGAS to PORTLAND, OR on the front driveshaft after I blew the rear end (twice on the same trip!). it was loaded with 3 spare engines and tools at the time. but we disconnected the car trailer. did just fine.

they do make a chevy truck version of the pics you posted, Keith. look in the national truck trader type books and you will see them. and they are front wheel drive

on a side note, I saw a setup once that blew my mind.
imagine this- you have a 4x4 van. you cut the rear off it, and install a BIG-A** boat carrier and boat. then tie the living quarters of the boat to where you can access it from the van
so you are left with a front-wheel-drive boat carrier/ motorhome, that can launch the boat without a trailer. kinda hard to explain, i'll see if I can find a pic of it somewhere. I actually saw one of these in Las Vegas once.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

cool rig :thup: :thup: jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

All manufacturers of older 4wd vehicles state limitations on speed in 4wd. Yes you can do it, but it is not good for front drivetrain components. 4 wheelers do it to get you home when rear parts break all the time, but it is not recommended for extended periods of time, and certainly not with loads (front diffs are usually not as strong as rears-the exception perhaps is the 1 ton HP d60, which is comparable since it's not riding on the coast side of the gears like a low pinion is in the front). Finally, it is generally also not recommended to engage 4wd on dry pavement. Not only is your turning radius impacted, but again, very hard on front diff parts.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
turbocharged400sbc

Post by turbocharged400sbc »

yeah i've had to go front driveshaft only on a few jeeps...usually after wheeling

on a side note i think people have been doing that sort of thing for a while...i saw an OLD (late 40's early 50's) primer cabover truck with and eldorado drivetrain under the cab...complete with 500 caddy power...his flatbed backhalf height was like 14 inches deck to ground and was adjustable with airbags...dana 70/80 rearend with the pumpkin removed from the tube...that was a sick car hauler 8)
1994 Olds 442 (425 cid-4 wheel drive-2 V6's) http://www.cardomain.com/id/94twinengine442 13.81 @ 98.2 MPH 1.9s 60's
68 F250 Camper Special 390FE/NP435/3.73D60
soon: 79 F350 disk brakes w/ 3.55 D60, pneumatic, 1750w AC inverter, Vector 1600w lightbar, 200A 3g alt, all a mobile gearhead needs
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm.....well, thanks for the input guys. I guess if this is something I decide to try some day I'll have to find an Eldorado or Toronado and adapt a Ford cab and front sheetmetal to the front part of the chassis.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I used to have a '78 Chevy K5 Blazer. I busted a rear U joint and drove on the front shaft for about two years! :lol:
It would do 65 on the Interstate with no problem!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Keith, I have a better idea. Make a looong ramped wedge trailer out of an F250. They look cool and work much better. Do you know what I'm talking about? Just make sure to have extra strong and secure means of attaching the vehicle and make it a frame to ramp attachment, not an axle to ramp.
hutch1973

Post by hutch1973 »

I had a Jeep CJ that had different gear ratios from front to back (didn't know it when I bought it) and after I blew the fourth driveshaft I drove it on the front axle for months. Actually drove it through a decent amount of mud to go help my brother when he burried his truck. I doubt it's good for it but I didn't have any issues. I was really impressed what that Jeep got through with only one axle.
Bumpless for now...
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I have seen variations of it with front only all turned around to make a mid engined rwd. I also have ran on the front only for short periods and at highway speeds with no real problem. Cosider the old full time (203) which always transferred power to the tire with the least traction when in the open position. They almost always spun a front tire first, so the front was packing a good share of the load at all times. Really it's all just parts, gears and bearings so what could go wrong? The 44 front ends are a little weeny for hard use but if you used the high pinion it should be transferring power off the correct side of the ring and pinion. (I think the old low pinion would be driving off the reverse side).
And the reason you weren't supposed to use 4x4 on dry pavement was the binding caused by all 4 tires being driven and that wouldn't be a problem with just one (open) axle.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I'm pretty sure my Blazer had an NP203 in it. That was the chain driven unit, as compared to the gear driven NP205, correct? :hmm:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Yep flyboy that's the 203. POS t-case good for scrap and that's about it. The range box makes a nice doubler though.
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

You've got my vote!

What for I really don't know?

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."