Windshield washer pump with delayed wipers (FIX)

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Ranchero50

Windshield washer pump with delayed wipers (FIX)

Post by Ranchero50 »

So, been working to get my windshield washers working since I've been driving in this winter muck. After installing everything mechanically I found out tonight that I didn't have power to the pump. I'm using the delay wiper switch and inline delay box from a late '80's F series and found that they used one power source for both the wipers and washer unlike how Ford did on my '71.

Note wires number 950 and 951 at the bottom right of the below image which provide power to the pump through the switch.

Wire 950 is the source wire to the early switch. Wire 951 is missing the terminal on the late model switch and plug. They run the switched power to the pump on the 950 wire. The fix is to squeeze the sides of the male terminal inside the connector and push it out the wire end, then place it back in the empty hole where the brack and green wire to the pump connects.

It's cold, my fingers are numb and if this doesn't make sense I'll try to take some pics and update the thread when it's daylight out and warmer.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
The Bandit

Re: Windshield washer pump with delayed wipers (FIX)

Post by The Bandit »

Thats exactly how you correct it as I just went through this with my 72 when I installed the delay I grabbed out of a mid 80's or so truck in the junkyard.
I've been meaning to write a post about it but I've had to many things going on to thats kept me from it.
Great job on getting it up and working.!
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
timachone

Post by timachone »

Thank you for the write up - bought a later model delay switch and have heard about the wire thing - thank you for the detailed explanation to this :yt:

:fr:

Tim
Tim :drive:

1970 Ford F250 360 FE 2V C6
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V 4-speed
2012 Ford S-Max 2.0 EB AT
2017 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo MT
timachone

Post by timachone »

I too have bought a delay wiper switch and with a delay box from a later model. Connected as intended the delay does not operate properly! The 2-speed is funtioning on the second and third position, but with the switch on the delay position (the knob could be turned like the dimmer switch in this position) the wipers are moving some inches and then remaining in this position in the midth of the windshield.

What could be causing this problem?

This is the switch:

The toogle pin is way too long so I have to shorten it to not harm my knees and looking better :wink:
Tim :drive:

1970 Ford F250 360 FE 2V C6
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V 4-speed
2012 Ford S-Max 2.0 EB AT
2017 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo MT
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

You don't have to shorten it if you don't want to. You can add three washers to the threaded part of the switch body and it will space it back just right.
Also the wiper delay you turn the switch to the left and adjust the speed of them from there. Off is turning it back to the right till it clicks once should be off.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..