Wiring replacement project

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

mac6150

Wiring replacement project

Post by mac6150 »

Hello, I'm in the planning stages for replacing all the wiring in my 1972 Ford F250 this summer. I plan on buying a pre-made wiring harness. I have noticed numerous harness on line but can't decide on which one is better. Pricing isn't an option, I am more interested in ease of installation. I do plan on upgrading the fuse panel. I have already made a few upgrades to the electrical system but still have intermittent issues. In addition to the wiring, I plan on installing a Dakota digital instrument cluster.

My question is, can anyone who had purchased wiring harnesses recommend a particular brand. Also I would appreciate any feedback on issues, horror stories, when installing a new wiring harness.

Thanks,
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Wiring replacement project

Post by sargentrs »

I got a sweet deal on an EZ Wiring 21 circuit ATO harness. https://www.ezwiring.com/product-page/e ... ng-harness Haven't installed it yet but I have inspected it thoroughly. Appears to be high quality and all the wiring is clearly labeled every foot or so as to its application. Comes with generic connectors so some splicing is necessary. I'm going to have mostly aftermarket/upgraded everything so I'm looking at extensive mods anyway. I actually got it new in the box, opened but untouched, for $50! At $185 new, it was a no-brainer. If you're comfortable with wiring and electrical I see no reason to pay $500-$800 for a plug n play OEM harness when $200 will get you the upgraded fuse panel and all the wiring. Painless sells one that looks pretty complete but it's almost $800. https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/10118
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

Another one to check out is Centech #K-40F for Ford trucks up to 1980. I used the BR-10 for my 71 Bronco and have been pleased with it so far.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
hillcountryflt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hillcountryflt »

Does the Centech harness support the ammeters on our vehicles. That seems to be an issue with most of the wiring harnesses out there. How much customization do they offer? I noticed at their site the request one call them to have a harness built to "you" specifications.
1971 F100 Custom SB Flareside;
2016 Explorer;
2020 F150
2016 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Ford Mustang Deluxe V6
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

The Centech truck harness does support the ammeter as far as I know. The harness I used on my Bronco does. As far as customizing circuits I added another fuse panel for all the added lights and other accessories, with each switch run through a relay.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport