Added a double cupholder to my bench seat

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Added a double cupholder to my bench seat

Post by 69timemachine »

I found this hot rod cup holder online at classicconsoles.com and thought I'd give it a try. It comes in many colors and costs around $75.
I built a small bracket for it and mounted it on the front of my bench seat by drilling a couple 1/4" holes through the lower seat frame. I unscrewed the floor hump grab ears off of the cup holder and screwed it to the new bracket that I made. It sits about 2" in front of the seat and about 3" off the floor. I'm happy with the way it turned out.
The only mod I had to make to it was on the plastic cup holder inserts. They have a step in the lower half for soda cans and my particular cups wouldn't drop all the way down. I popped the inserts out, put a layer of masking tape on my cup, placed it upside-down on the work bench, placed the insert upside-down over it, and gently heated it with my heat gun. Once the plastic got soft, I was able to get it to stretch on down over the cup. I repeated that for the other insert and they fit my cups precisely now. Depending on your cups, you may not even have that issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 69timemachine on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Added a double cupholder to my bench seat

Post by 69timemachine »

Here are more pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 69timemachine on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jason
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Here's the last few pics.
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Awesome! :thup: 8)
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Sweet , that's better than a roll of duct tape! :thup:
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

cep62 wrote:Sweet , that's better than a roll of duct tape! :thup:
:cuss: Quit talking about me like that... How'd you even know about that, my truck left Michigan over 30 years ago. Hey it works though! :D

If I'm not mistaken these guys are located up around Atlanta GA. They had a bunch of their products on display in their stall at Moltrie Swap Meet when I went down there last year. Things look even better in person than in the photos. Was considering getting one of their products for my truck as well, but not I think I'm going to swap to a later model F-150 bench with the cup holders on the front. Still might end up with one of those though.

Jason, looks good in the truck. I was leaning towards the console/armrest version because I was skeptical about that style staying put on the hump. Your bracket idea looks like a great solution. Also being raised like that looks like a better position than just sitting on the hump or in the seat. :thup:
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

JoshT wrote:Jason, looks good in the truck. I was leaning towards the console/armrest version because I was skeptical about that style staying put on the hump. Your bracket idea looks like a great solution. Also being raised like that looks like a better position than just sitting on the hump or in the seat. :thup:
Thank you! Yes, I was going to build a straighter & simpler bracket, but figured if I added some bends, I could get a little more height for less reach.
Also, I realized that the lower seat frame I was attaching to was at a 10° or so angle, so I made a cut/bend/re-weld to my bracket to level the holder out when bolted up.
Another option (and my original plan), was to build a bracket that would slide under the shifter bezel and then you'd put its screws back in, sandwiching the console bracket to the floor. It's good that there would be no extra drilling to the floorboard, but the holder would be sitting on the floor meaning longer reach, and it would be stationary and could get in the way if you were to move the seat forward.
Attaching it to the seat frame means it moves with the seat.
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Man this was always my "pet peeve" about the truck! :eek:
I can't tell you how many time something sticky got spilled onto the floorboards / or the seat / or my crotch LOL! :P

Awesome job and suggest you submit for the patent on the frame (which also looks like it slides when the seat would need to slide forward or backward?). :woohoo:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
timachone

Post by timachone »

That's a great design - awesome :yt: :thup:
Tim :drive:

1970 Ford F250 360 FE 2V C6
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V 4-speed
2012 Ford S-Max 2.0 EB AT
2017 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo MT
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

basketcase0302 wrote:Awesome job and I suggest you submit for the patent on the frame (which also looks like it slides when the seat would need to slide forward or backward?). :woohoo:
Thank you! Yes, it bolts to the seat frame, so it moves with the seat.
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

timachone wrote:That's a great design - awesome :yt: :thup:
Thank you! It was just an idea I had rolling around in the old noggin'. The hardest part was finding a cup holder that was a good basis to start with. The only stuff I found local or on Ebay was just plastic and open on bottom. This one is very finished-looking!
Jason
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed