'78 seat vs. '71

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

Skkzhg

'78 seat vs. '71

Post by Skkzhg »

Are the frames, springs, runners, etc... better in the '78 seat vs. my '71? Mine has been recovered but it wasn't done well and the foam on the driver's side is soft. MY '71 is a Ranger XLT and the '78 is a Custom.

I plan on having mine recovered but I could swap in the '78 seat and recover it if it is better/stronger.

Thanks!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: '78 seat vs. '71

Post by jzjames »

I did switch seats to a ‘78 bench seat. The difference was noticeable.
The 78 seat was much more comfortable, seemed to give a little more leg room because of a thinner-profile seat back.
Runners are the same as the 67-72 ones.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:yt:

The difference is night and day!

I put a 78' bench in my old truck and never had a back ache driving the bump ever again after that!
The springs are like twice as "stiff/firm" / don't sag / and are so...much more comfortable! :thup:

Edit: Only thing I had to do was "trim" a portion of the metal bracket on the DS pivot "handle", (what you pull to tilt the seat back forward) as it rubbed the cab floor if memory serves me right.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Skkzhg

Post by Skkzhg »

basketcase0302 wrote::yt:

The difference is night and day!

I put a 78' bench in my old truck and never had a back ache driving the bump ever again after that!
The springs are like twice as "stiff/firm" / don't sag / and are so...much more comfortable!
I had heard that the frame or springs were better on the dent side truck seats... Just wanted to get some confirmation. I'll probably try to use the one out of the '78 unless it's going to cost a lot more to replace/redo the foam.

Thanks for the info!