Dana 24 rebuild question

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

stpackard

Dana 24 rebuild question

Post by stpackard »

I’m putting in replacement bearings and seals from Torque King on a Dana 24, and it appears it’d been rebuilt.

I took a bunch of pictures and I have the schematic drawing for assembly. I don’t know if there’re any parts (washers, spacers) missing. All the kit bearings have snap rings but only some of the previous bearings have snap rings and the others fit flush.

Does anyone know how the rods at the case top work and are there any things you know need to be got right when putting it back together?

I’m not finding a whole lot on rebuilding this or similar..

Thanks for your guidance!
Sam
Eric46

Re: Dana 24 rebuild question

Post by Eric46 »

Sam,

I used a Dana 24 rebuild kit from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard as it included all of the bearings, seals, and gaskets. ( https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Dana-2 ... nfo/21696/ ). Presume the kit you have is similar.

The Ford Shop Manual is the only reference document I have found that has the disassembly and reassembly steps. It also has some pictures and diagrams. It seems a little confusing at first read, but it works.

Eric
1970 F-250 4x4
stpackard

Re: Dana 24 rebuild question

Post by stpackard »

Eric, thanks for your reply. It was very helpful - I have the 69 shop manual and that's going to work!

The 1/4" factory frame mounting plates where the bushings have been have wear patterns in them, round on top and square on the bottom. I'm pretty sure that's from the years of use. The holes that the bushings and studs are wallered out to about 1/16" all around the replacement bushing. I don't know if they got wallered out over the years or if they're supposed to be that way. I am thinking that there needs to be a snug fit on bushings not only in tightness of bushing bolt torque but the side to side fitment in the plates.

I suppose I could make up some new plates and bore some holes but I like that these would look original and have the flange on the sides.

Today's question: on the support plates, should I weld some beads/grind flush to shore up the wear patterns, and should I weld in more metal/shape round to match bushing fit on the circumference of the bushing holes so that there's not so much slop of fit, or do you suppose there should be a looser fit to aid in bolting the case in?