F250 HD DRUM TO DISC

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

billybob_ca

F250 HD DRUM TO DISC

Post by billybob_ca »

Hi Everyone
Newbie here, searched the site to little avail...looking to see if my insights are correct. Have a 1971 late model F250 Camper Special with the 7500 GVW large spindles HD Drum brakes. It seems, from my initial findings, that the spindles are the SAME for both DRUM & DISC brakes??? Can this be true? My guess from some preliminary research is that the bearings inner & outer are THE SAME for both DRUM & DISC. If this is true, then all I would have to do is buy the discs, calipers & pads & so forth and have the disc brake set-up I desire.

Please Assist,

TIA
billybob_ca
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: F250 HD DRUM TO DISC

Post by cep62 »

billybob_ca wrote: My guess from some preliminary research is that the bearings inner & outer are THE SAME for both DRUM & DISC. If this is true, then all I would have to do is buy the discs, calipers & pads & so forth and have the disc brake set-up I desire.
I'm not sure but , there needs to be a caliper mount and I think it may be cast into the spindle.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

Here are a couple of excellent threads that talk about the F250 front drum to disc brake conversion, make sure you check out the threads within the text as there is excellent info contained in them! Hope this helps! :thup:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =5&t=84982

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =5&t=70556
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
billybob_ca

Post by billybob_ca »

Thanks Guys!!

Exactly the info I was looking for. I'll bet it's a good idea to go whole hog and get all the pieces for the front suspension including the I Beams. My hunch is that just the outer pieces will need to be installed (utilizing my existing I Beams) but just a hunch at this time.

thanks for all your help
billybob_ca
gigajoe

Post by gigajoe »

billybob_ca wrote:Hi Everyone
Newbie here, searched the site to little avail...looking to see if my insights are correct. Have a 1971 late model F250 Camper Special with the 7500 GVW large spindles HD Drum brakes. It seems, from my initial findings, that the spindles are the SAME for both DRUM & DISC brakes??? Can this be true? My guess from some preliminary research is that the bearings inner & outer are THE SAME for both DRUM & DISC. If this is true, then all I would have to do is buy the discs, calipers & pads & so forth and have the disc brake set-up I desire.

Please Assist,

TIA
billybob_ca
So I have a 67 camper special, the ******* year, with a DANA 60 "C8" axle. Does this mean I can use the HD Drum brakes i see being sold? I was just planning on swapping to all new drums and upgrading to a brake booster from my manual as the DISC/DISC conversion for this year is particularly expensive.

Thanks
Tucsontoy

Post by Tucsontoy »

Is it possible to install a compete I-beam/spindle from a 1996 F350 2wd into one of these older F250's?