Ac to dc 1967 ford

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

bochyhawg

Ac to dc 1967 ford

Post by bochyhawg »

After adding an electric choke to my truck the turn signals went haywire, an old mechanic told the original alternator wasn’t putting out enough juice. His solution was a large dc generator. Long story short I’m now have a chrome one wire alternator that seems to have been draining the battery. i tried to solve battery drain by cutting juice at the keyswitch but ended up putting a toggle switch in the one wire charging circuit. This seems to stop battery drain if I remember to flip the switch. One observation is that the truck will start without the alternator connected. I have an idea of how he made the switch to dc but I’m hesitant to clip wires at the keyswitch. My question is how would you guys convert to dc generator on these wiring harnesses? I clipped a 12 gauge wire connected to the starter side of the solenoid but the truck still starts from the battery when I turn the key.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Ac to dc 1967 ford

Post by Busboy »

Let me make life easier for you. Undo everything you've done or been told to do and start over with the factory setup with an alternator, external regulator etc.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

bochyhawg wrote:After adding an electric choke to my truck the turn signals went haywire, an old mechanic told the original alternator wasn’t putting out enough juice. His solution was a large dc generator. Long story short I’m now have a chrome one wire alternator that seems to have been draining the battery. i tried to solve battery drain by cutting juice at the keyswitch but ended up putting a toggle switch in the one wire charging circuit. This seems to stop battery drain if I remember to flip the switch. One observation is that the truck will start without the alternator connected. I have an idea of how he made the switch to dc but I’m hesitant to clip wires at the keyswitch. My question is how would you guys convert to dc generator on these wiring harnesses? I clipped a 12 gauge wire connected to the starter side of the solenoid but the truck still starts from the battery when I turn the key.

Uh, OK. Lets try to clarify terminology here. A generator found on older cars pre mid 60s-ish are called Generators. They do produce DC voltage. Vehicles use DC systems. Alternators produce AC voltage but use rectifying Diodes to convert to DC voltage for vehicle. Your truck came originally with an alternator. So at some point you had somebody replace the OEM alternator with and earlier style generator?? However the question about converting your truck to DC generator is confusing.....your truck already uses a DC system. Knowing how you wired the electric choke in the beginning would be helpful. The battery drain started happening after said old mechanic put a generator on the truck??
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
bochyhawg

Post by bochyhawg »

Sound advise indeed, gentlemen. I did my research before investing in a one wire alternator. I tried to find a compatible three wire alternator with higher amps; but ended up buying the expensive one wire from LMC truck. Finding parts for these trucks will always be a challenge. Life was easier when the alternator shop was still in business, if the professionals couldn’t fix it, they would sell you a rebuilt starter/alternator for $40. I apologize for the terminology. I’d no formal schooling in electricity. I got many years usage from the dc generator. It’s just that I don’t have it anymore,hence I had to have an upgrade. When I started to install the one wire alternator I neglected to unhook the negative battery cable, I almost juiced myself. It run and charged fine but I had to disconnect the battery to get the engine to stop. After replacing a solenoid or two I had to figure out a way to kill the current from the alternator with the keyswitch so I unplugged the choke wire form acc. on my original fuse box and fashioned two connectors from copper tubing to connect the 8 gauge wire to the extra blades. This stopped the run on, but I began to notice battery drain. I think what the old man done was crimp a wire from the keyswitch to the windshield washer switch, but it may have been something I done to the wiring harness a long time ago. More or less,I made this post to gain motivation to start working on my truck. The weather is so hot.