Removing a door

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

BigAl47

Removing a door

Post by BigAl47 »

What is the easiest way to remove a door. By unbolting at the hinge or the bolts on the door?
Thank You
It’s on my 1972 f250
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Removing a door

Post by MAK »

Just removed mine last week. I removed the bolts at the door first. I think that is easier because the hinges slide into supports on the door so it’s easier to hold in place while bolts are removed.
BigAl47

Post by BigAl47 »

Is it easy adjust it back so all the gaps are correct
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

BigAl47 wrote:Is it easy adjust it back so all the gaps are correct
I guess if the hinges stay in place on the cab and if you can see exactly where they were positioned before it would be easy to get close. I’ve completely dismantled mine and removed the hinges and they will be stripped and repainted so I won’t be able to see their exact placement before. There won’t be anything easy about getting them lined back up that way...
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Take some stiff cardboard and fold multiple 3" long pieces in an angle to about 1/8"-1/4" thickness. Tape it in 2-3 places on every edge of your door. Slide your door onto the hinges and install bolts loosely so they can move around freely. Then have someone hold pressure on your door in place from the outside. The cardboard angles will give you a uniform gap all the way around. Then tighten the bolts and check alignment. Add more angles over each other to move it one direction or another.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

sargentrs wrote:Take some stiff cardboard and fold multiple 3" long pieces in an angle to about 1/8"-1/4" thickness. Tape it in 2-3 places on every edge of your door. Slide your door onto the hinges and install bolts loosely so they can move around freely. Then have someone hold pressure on your door in place from the outside. The cardboard angles will give you a uniform gap all the way around. Then tighten the bolts and check alignment. Add more angles over each other to move it one direction or another.
Great tip :thup:
Hopefully it won’t be four years before I can try it :wink: