Pulling the Steering Wheel

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

FloridaFordGuy

Pulling the Steering Wheel

Post by FloridaFordGuy »

I'm wanting to pull my steering wheel, but I can't figure out how to bolt the puller to the center. Does this metal plate have to come off first? It doesn't feel like it wants to come off, but I haven't been leaning into it too hard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Pulling the Steering Wheel

Post by cep62 »

To me it looks like the holes for the puller are plugged with something, try poking at the two round spots either side of the shaft.

If that wont work put the nut on loose and pull back real hard in a rocking motion ,
be careful you might crack the steering wheel.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Old school way. Loosen the nut until it's flush with the top of the shaft. Put your feet on the dash with your knees behind and on either side of the steering wheel. Use your legs to apply upward pressure on the steering wheel and smack the nut with a hammer. It'll pop right off and the nut will stop the wheel from smacking you in the face. Don't forget to leave the nut on! Don't ask me how I know. :doh:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Put some penetrating oil on it before you try anything. 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone works great. The holes for a puller look to be plugged up with something...
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

All good advice above-and one last "last ditch" way to get it off, (that will probably destroy the plastic on the wheel is to use a 3 jaw puller).
I've had to do it before to get to the TSS, you'll have a 50/50 chance of damaging the wheel with the puller so it depends on how badly you need to get the wheel off. :(

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
FloridaFordGuy

Post by FloridaFordGuy »

Awesome advice! As much as I wanted to go with the old school method to see if I could land myself in the emergency room, cep62 and others had it right with the plugged-up screw holes. They were so firmly and evenly packed, I just thought they were part of the metal. Got them all cleaned out, bolted the puller down and the wheel came off with a single turn.

Fordification nation to the rescue again! Thanks all!