oil drain idea.

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

oil drain idea.

Post by Zorm »

The next time anyone is under their truck with the 360/90, can you measure the distance drain plug is from the back edge of the cross member and from either the bottom of the drivers side motor mount or where the cross member starts to bend up. I would measure mine but I already removed the engine and not sure where the drain plug sits, about.

My thought is to make a spillway of sorts for the oil to run down vise it running onto and all over the cross member. I have a 09 Nissan Titan that has something like that going fwd of its cross member and it keeps the oil contained, its under the oil filter and it nice to not make a mess.

Maybe make the one for the truck higher on the one side to stop the first rush of oil out the pan, just thinking.
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: oil drain idea.

Post by sargentrs »

Check out this drain plug with a shut off valve. Has a nipple you can attach a hose to clear the crossmember.
https://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65249

http://fumotousa.com
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

I did not see that, a great fix, less messy. I like the fact of leaving a short hose on it, maybe even, if space permits, extending that lever a little. humm.. may go that rout, thanks sargentrs!

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:thup:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
generalee

Post by generalee »

Check out a 04-08 F150 4WD. They have a plastic tray that does exactly what you described. Might find one in boneyard where engine has been removed. Although no one wants a 3v 5.4 at any price. Cross member is different but might be an easy fit.
68' Ranger SWB w/ 302 Clevor (Aussie 2v heads), soon to have front disc brakes
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

I simply take a piece of heavy cardboard and fold into a V, then hold it under the drain plug. This directs the oil into a pan in front of the cross member.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I made a simple scoop out of sheet metal. I position it so the balance point has it sitting at an angle, with the wider end resting up against the pan and the other end hanging down past the back edge of the crossmember. It gets wiped off after each oil change and stored behind the bench seat. Saves a lot of mess and took a few minutes to make. I used it last weekend and didn't spill a drop.
Oil funnel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

:yt:

I enjoy all the good ideas/information/short cuts.
Thank you all for the good information. :fr:

Jacksdad, I used one of the old aluminum pans that my wife stopped using and did about the same as you did. I can shape the pan with my hands so it will work.

Later I took the drill and with a hole saw bit , drilled a hole in the crossmember big enough for my socket to fit through and now it is no problem. I can put my drain pan under my truck and remove the oil pan drain plug and put it back in through the hole I drilled in the crossmember with no oil mess. :fr:
Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

Yes, these forums are great! Jacksdad, that's exactly what my original thought was but to mount it to the cross member, still might go that rout.

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Zorm »

if anyone cares, ended up going the rout that sargentrs suggested. Got that spring loaded valve, got a little bit of heater hose clamped on to the nipple and hanging just below the cross member. Works great and no more oily mess on the cross member.

tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I use a cut up milk jug.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.