What is this rec tube welded to my frame?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Terry Veiga

What is this rec tube welded to my frame?

Post by Terry Veiga »

...oops, just realized I posted this to the engine forum, sorry...

Hello,

I'm researching how to install a spare tire under my bed, however, I noticed there's a 2x4 rec tube with a couple tabs on top welded in the spare tire area. Also, there's a riveted 1.75" inch metal strap right above and perpendicular to the rec tube that's also in the way of a spare tire. Any ideas what these are?
rec-tube.JPG
riveted-strap.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: What is this rec tube welded to my frame?

Post by 390FE1972 »

Looks like a previous owner has added that 2 X 4 rec tube, I have never seen one that came that way from the factory. That strap is a standard part of the truck, I'm not positive but I believe that strap helps keep your spare tire in place if you have a spare tire holder under the truck.

Regards :thup:

Click on this: http://www.fordification.com/siteindex.htm then scroll down to Diagrams & Schematics, click on Section D (Frame, Body and related components), then scroll down to Spare Wheel Carrier (Frame Mounted) and click on the diagram to enlarge it. This will give you an idea of how your frame should look, it shows the strap and correct frame cross members.
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Agree riveted strap is correct,

No telling what the tube is for perhaps part of a receiver hitch or even a fifth wheel hitch... or in light of that rear anti sway bar, maybe an attempt at stiffening... <shrug>
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

Thanks fellas, I'll cut off that mystery piece in order to make room for a spare tire setup.

On a similar note, does the tiny factory hydraulic jack that's stored in the engine bay fender well actually lift the rear up high enough to change a tire?
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

The jack should work fine for lifting the tire off the ground. May want to take it out and make sure it functions properly. Mine was missing so I carry a small 3 ton bottle jack for flat tire changes away from home. At home I use one of my floor jacks.
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport