Flex-O-Matic rear spring set up

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

scottnoon87

Flex-O-Matic rear spring set up

Post by scottnoon87 »

Hello all, im re assembling my rear flex-o-matic suspension. when the rear of the truck is lifted off the ground and i start to lower the truck the problem im having is the second leaf spring goes underneath the flex-o-matic arm and gets stuck. is there a procedure on how to set it up to stop this?
DuckRyder

Re: Flex-O-Matic rear spring set up

Post by DuckRyder »

I’m having trouble picturing this, can you show us how you have the shackle and rocker assembled?

There may be some pictures in my project thread...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

Here is the schematic diagram of the Flex-O-Matic set up, does it look like it is set up like this on your truck?

http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... -wflex.jpg

Take a look to make sure it is assembled correctly. Let us know.

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Check out my build thread in my signature. About halfway down page 1 and more on page 5 are photos before and after of my Flex-o-Matic set up and rebuild.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
GPatrick

Post by GPatrick »

I had the same thing happen when I had pulled out a an extra leaf and couldn't the spring straps tightened enough. As I was raising the axle, the second leaf would separate and go under the shackle assembly. With one or two extra people, the shackles could be rotated with crow bars to allow the leaf to go where it is supposed to but I didn't have extra people so instead I used small c-clamps to keep the ends of the leafs together as I raised the axle. On mine it was actually two leaves that would get stuck to I had to clamp twice. Once I was able to get full weight on the axle/spring I was able to get the clamp straps tightened up.
Gary
Littleton, CO