flywheel

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

67 short box

flywheel

Post by 67 short box »

240 3 speed. its starting to get "jerky" I guess is one way to describe it, when I let out on the clutch. its always done it since I have owned it.
got another parts truck with a 300 that is not original to the truck. it came with a 240. would like to have it turned but not sure it will work. are 240 and 300 the same? the number on it is c6ae6380c. im assuming that's the problem. thanks
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: flywheel

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I just checked mine that came off my 300 - it is the same part number and it came off the original 240 that was in the vehicle when it was swapped according to the guy I got it from......14" diameter with 164 tooth ring gear is what mine is.....
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

If it's 'jerky' when you release the clutch, pretty good chance that you had some oil get on the flywheel/clutch plate due to a bad rear main seal or sumthin' like that. Fix the clutch, turn the flywheel, fix the bad seal. Unless the flywheel is worn out or cracked, you should be fine without replacing it.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
67 short box

Post by 67 short box »

thanks to both.
its 14 inches and 164 tooth.
will for sure check that main seal as well
Red Mercury

Post by Red Mercury »

I have a 1967 Mercury F100 that has been in my family since new. 240, 3 speed, 3.70 gears. It's been an under-powered gas hog from day one, so it was common to "ride the clutch" to get it moving especially when towing a trailer which resulted in a worn out clutch disk. The flywheel may be fine--machining it might be a good idea. Machining a flywheel is pretty much standard practice today but back in the day if it was not gouged and there were no stress cracks then sanding it with a medium grit sanding block would usually get you back on the road.

On my 1979 F150, I have also had a leaking transmission input shaft that would allow transmission oil to contaminate the clutch. The oil/dust combination makes the clutch & flywheel a bit sticky resulting in a jerky clutch. My solution was to disassemble the clutch, clean and sand the flywheel, install a new transmission input shaft seal and clutch disk. The clutch disk anti-chatter springs were shot too, also adding to the problem. The truck has logged 140,000 miles since with occasional trailer towing--zero issues.
67 short box

Post by 67 short box »

good info, thanks
will know more when I get it apart.