Left turn signal/brake light keeps burning out.

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

rabbithunter2005

Left turn signal/brake light keeps burning out.

Post by rabbithunter2005 »

First off just wanna say may god bless us all thru this national crisis. Now down to business 3 weeks ago I had a tail light issue on the passenger side of my 67 f250. Got that fixed ended up having bypass a wire that apparently is broken or shorted out or whatever. Fast forward 3week sunday I took a drive to see how local lake is filling up after the dam was redone and when I got out of the truck I left everything running and noticed drivers side tail light is out I checked the turn signal light and it was out too. I figured it was just a blown bulb which at the time it was just that, bulb was solid black inside. Replaced the bulb went to work Sunday night got to work which is a 5 min drive and the brake light/turn signal light was out again. Figuring I got a bad bulb yesterday I put another one in. Everything works mind u with engine not running. Go to work last night once again brake light out. Tail light still on. During my lunch break I throw in my last bulb. Everything works once again mind u engine not running when I tested it. Went to leave this morning and was warming her up she was running in fast idle til I got up to temp I tapped the brake pedal looked at the reflection in the building and out goes the light completely tail light and brake light. Im gonna assume the bulb is burned once again do I have a surge of power somehow going thru. Only thing I know to try now is obviously get a new bulb and maybe a voltage regulator. Can anyone point me in the right direction I never seen anything like this.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Left turn signal/brake light keeps burning out.

Post by sargentrs »

First check your grounds. Wiring pigtail near housing, housing/bezel mounting screws and the bulb socket itself. Make sure all holes/hardware are clean and contacting bare metal. Pay particular attention to the dimples in the bulb socket where the bulb twists in.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
rabbithunter2005

Post by rabbithunter2005 »

Figured out im an idiot. Was buying the wrong bulbs. I was buying 1154s. Im supposed to be using 1157s. Feel free to laugh at my expense. Thanks for the advise tho.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:lol: We've all had those :doh: moments!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.