windshield differences vs bodycode F250 1968

Moderator: FORDification

cash667

windshield differences vs bodycode F250 1968

Post by cash667 »

hi guys,
since my F250 has a cracked windshield I`m trying to get a new one but there is confusion on whats the correct windshield for body code 81 and if there is a difference to other body codes?

I asked a german company which is selling windshields for classics. Told them what car it is about and he offered a windshield for about 250€. After I told him that I have a body code 81 F250 he said I need an other windshield - which is of course more expensive.

I also found a windshield at autokrafters.com with the add "except chassis cab" - I think thas what bodycode 81 means.

On the other hand I found loads of information that windshields 67-7whatever are the same at all - just the sealing is different.

So can anybody make clear what this is all about and if there are diffenreces or not?

btw: I tried to make a post in the welcome forum but it did not let me...some sql error appeared. I will do this as soon as it works...

Cheers from germany
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: windshield differences vs bodycode F250 1968

Post by basketcase0302 »

Chris,

And here's the beauty of owning a "bump or Bumpside", (67'-72' Ford truck) is that ANY windshield from 1967 up thru the 1979, (73'-79' commonly referred to as a "dent" / "dentside") F-100 / F-150 / F-250 / F-350 are all the same, (except for our US DOT upper windshield tint). :thup:
Am pretty sure there's a tutorial on the bodyu differences between bump and dent but I couldn't find it. :hmm:
But by all means bookmark the Fordification Techincal Article section as it has literally millions of answer to questions we all ask on a daily basis:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/technical-index.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cash667

Post by cash667 »

Hi Jeff,
Thx for your answer - and of course I know the fordification tech articles. Very helpfull!

But I can‘t find a clear information on the windshield topic.

There are 3 different bodycodes:
81 - conventional Cab
84 - cowl and chassis
85 - cowl and windshield

So what‘s the difference?

And there must be a reason why some stores making exceptions for windshield fitment...or not?

https://www.autokrafters.com/showProduc ... ctID=15882

Why except chassis cab?
The german stores do make this exception too. Bodycode 81 vs the other bodycodes. Two different windshields they said...

Thanks
Chris

Ps in Germany its 11am and I‘m not at work (thanks to corona - working in the show biz means no work at all actually)
So I will swap my 3 speed in the cougar to a 4 speed with hurst shifter today...hopefully direct swap with no issues.
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Chris,

I just pray our world returns to some sort of normal in the coming months, (may God Bless and protect us all from this terrible pandemic).

I can't answer your question but can say that I took the one year old windshield from my 1979 Ford F-100 and put it into my 1971 F-350 flat bed , (believe that's what they're referring to as a "cowl and chassis" what most refer to as a cab&chassis?). :hmm:
Maybe there's something I'm missing here in the Ford factory sales literature that can define the difference?
http://www.fordification.com/library/

Maybe someone else can chime in here that knows of a difference? :pray:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I think this may be confusion about description.

If you look at later VINs there is a body code for a Cab and Chassis as well as Cowl and Windshield.

Cowl and Cowl and windshield (typically) are body builder incomplete vehicles. The sort of thing an RV or “bread truck” or "Armored car" might be made from...

Would be interesting to see the bump side versions...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
cash667

Post by cash667 »

To be honest - I´m just more confused... :?

But I think I will order the "normal" F250 windshield and see if it fits or not.

I have no idea why there should be a diffenrence in windshield when it comes to platform or whatever bed style...

Thanks
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

What DuckRyder says about the Model 85 Cowl and Windshield make sense. Check out this camper thread http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=65405 If you zoom in on the photos you can see the cabs don't have conventional roofs. Makes sense that the windshield may be different. It would appear to have a flat top instead a curved one to fit the roof of the conventional cab.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Look up good humor man on here and the web also (as in good humor ice cream)

I think someone over the years has confused cowl and chassis and cab and chassis.

Examples:

Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
cash667

Post by cash667 »

Thanks for all the information!

To make it more clear: if anyone has a 1968 F250 sitting around with removed windshield please do the following measurements:
F250 windshield measurements.jpg
1 - bottom corner to bottom corner
2 - top corner to top corner
3 - left lower corner to left upper corner
4 - distance in middel of windshield
5 - right lower corner to right upper corner

all measurements with removed windshield and within window frame. direkt measured, not bend like the windshield.
If these measurments are same in maybe the different bodcodes there will be no difference in windshields. Even if the windshields are bended different - when the frame measurements are the same they should fit in anyway.
I will do this measurments on mine when its in germany and I pulled the windshield.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
cash667

Post by cash667 »

Happy new year to all of you :fr:

I have to bring up this thread again because I have to buy a new windshield the next weeks.
There is still the problem that a german parts supplier sells 2 diffrent windshields, one for about 250$ the other for 350$.
He told me that the cheaper one is for bodycode 84/85 and the more expensive is exclusive for bodycode 81.

on autokrafters.com there is also a note that this windshield will NOT fit "chassis cab"
https://www.autokrafters.com/Ford-F250P ... s-cab.aspx

I won´t spend an extra 100$ for something that is not confirmed.

So again the question: Why do these shops make a difference in windshiels? WHAT is the difference between the bodycode IF there is any?

Would really appreciate some reliable information on that topic.

Thanks

cheers from germany
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

Hope i can help you out here.
You said that your body code is #81. Which is a regular, 2dr, style cab. Std roofline, std rear wall.

The other body codes are for a chassis, with incomplete cabs. Cabs that would have an ambulance body put on back. so there would be no rear wall. (#85)
or a chassis with the front cowl (firewall), a modified windshield frame, (usually flat) and a roof line matching the body being installed. (#84)

The link you posted to the autokrafters site is the correct windshield for your truck.

In there description they say '67 to '79, F-150, 250,350 except chassis cab. The chassis cab they are referring to could possibly be an incomplete cab, or they are using that term to cover all the L, N, and P, series trucks which use very different glass.

As stated previously in the post, all F-series windshields for standard, 2 dr cab trucks are the same from 1967 to 1979.
I understand your caution in ordering this part since shipping is a huge factor.

Is the truck you posted a picture of requesting dimensions of the glass your truck ?
If it is, then i am 100% confident that the windshield in the autokrafters link is the correct one for your truck.

I have been building truck chassis for 20+ years. Seen a lot of Fords over the years. There are lots of "general terms" that get thrown around and used wrong. Your supplier in Germany is right (84,85) are most likely very different from (81). Probably flat glass vs curved glass, thats why the price difference.

I hope this has helped and not made it more confusing.
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
cash667

Post by cash667 »

two-bit wrote:Hope i can help you out here.
You said that your body code is #81. Which is a regular, 2dr, style cab. Std roofline, std rear wall.

The other body codes are for a chassis, with incomplete cabs. Cabs that would have an ambulance body put on back. so there would be no rear wall. (#85)
or a chassis with the front cowl (firewall), a modified windshield frame, (usually flat) and a roof line matching the body being installed. (#84)

The link you posted to the autokrafters site is the correct windshield for your truck.

In there description they say '67 to '79, F-150, 250,350 except chassis cab. The chassis cab they are referring to could possibly be an incomplete cab, or they are using that term to cover all the L, N, and P, series trucks which use very different glass.

As stated previously in the post, all F-series windshields for standard, 2 dr cab trucks are the same from 1967 to 1979.
I understand your caution in ordering this part since shipping is a huge factor.

Is the truck you posted a picture of requesting dimensions of the glass your truck ?
If it is, then i am 100% confident that the windshield in the autokrafters link is the correct one for your truck.

I have been building truck chassis for 20+ years. Seen a lot of Fords over the years. There are lots of "general terms" that get thrown around and used wrong. Your supplier in Germany is right (84,85) are most likely very different from (81). Probably flat glass vs curved glass, thats why the price difference.

I hope this has helped and not made it more confusing.
Two-bit
:yt:

Thank you very much for your answer! Helped alot!
I think I´m getting it now..
So in fact all standard F Series trucks 67-79 must be body code 81. I messed around with the bodycodes - sorry.

The truck in the picture isn´t mine, just a stock photo. But I definitely got this type of truck.

The problem with my supplier is that he first offered a windshield for a "standard" or as he called a "normal" F250 and after I told him the bodycode, he said I need a special windshield.
So I need to call him the next days and ask him to give me a price on an "standard" F250 windshield.
With so much things learned the last half year I think this guy took his chance to raise his price when I told him to check if the glass suits my bodycode. Could be the reason why he can´t explain any difference in the windshields he´s trying to sell to me.
I bought a windshield from this guy for my cougar years ago and it fitted perfectly for a very reasonable price - thats the main reason why I try to get the glass for my truck from him aswell.
I have to buy a windshield in germany because it´s f*** expensive to get it shipped from the US. But there are just very few suppliers for us classic car glass here in germany.

long story short - I think I now know what I´m talking about and ready to discuss my options with the german suppliers.

:fr:
1968 Mercury Cougar 302