Non Power drums to Power Drums

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

studdmstr

Non Power drums to Power Drums

Post by studdmstr »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-70-71 ... dZViewItem
I just found this and was wondering if it would be worth the money and time.
Currently I have drum/drum non power brakes. What other items would I need to finish the job?
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

Man, You might want to check with NAPA. That looks a little spendy. I am not sure but you might need the pedal.

I think I did mine for $50 out of the junkyard.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
studdmstr

re: Non Power drums to Power Drums

Post by studdmstr »

Thanks for the ideas. $195 did seem a litltle pricey but they were new parts not rebuilt. I think I'll pass and wait to find a power disk donor.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Used power boosters for our trucks come up on ebay all the time. I got the booster and brackets for $50 and it works great.
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hardtailjohn »

You're happy with your power drum setup on yours, aren't you Greg? Just wondered if it's worth messing around trying to get all the other stuff gathered up...
JH
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

I have just power drums, no discs. I'm very satisfied with the braking performance. I know that part of the advantage with discs is wet weather performance. That is not an issue for me, however.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Discs are also considered a major improvement if you drive in hilly terrain, or anyplace where you'd be using your brakes more than average. Drum brake setups are notorius for what's known as 'brake fade', which is when your components get hot and loose effectiveness, such as when you're driving down a long downgrade, especially if towing a trailer.

They're not necessary by any means, but my own personal opinion is that they're a fairly inexpensive but worthwhile upgrade, and should be seriously considered, considering the parts are inexpensive and readily available. A great time to make the swap is when you've scheduled your truck for a major brake overhaul or when replacing kingpins.

:2cents:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Question i got the power Disk front suspension from the 77 is it 100% compatible with the 72 and do i need a different master Cyl.? mine for the power drums has the different sized reservoirs.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The entire '77 front end will bolt up to your '72. You should always use a disc-brake master cylinder with disc brakes, in addition to the disc-brake proportioning valve. Both of these components are very different from their drum-brake counterparts and should not be mixed.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Thanx Keith. I'm hopeing to find a decent frame to start a full off with kinda like with a rod. should be nice when i'm done.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Big D's 69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Big D's 69 »

I'm looking for a doner right now so I can do my swap.
1969 Ford F-100. 302 4 barrel, C4 auto, 9in 3.50 open rear, headers, power steering, Turq/wht, Under restoration. In other words, in a million pieces!!!

There is no Replacement for Displacment!!!

My Photo Gallery: http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=655