three speed column shift clutch fork

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

dolinick
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

three speed column shift clutch fork

Post by dolinick »

I have a 1983 F100 with a 300 inline 6 and 3 speed column shift manual transmission.
I just purchased the truck and had it towed home. I noticed the shift linkage was disconnected
from the transmission. The pushrod that normally released the clutch fork was bent and dangling
under the truck. Then I noticed the fork was at a weird angle and kind of loose.

I think the previous owner was going to remove the transmission and this issue is what caused
the truck to get parked. It has a 2018 registration sticker. I did not want to start the engine
because there was no oil on the dipstick. I later drained the old oil. It was just low.
(did crank it for a second and it seemed like it was gonna fire right up) Maybe I will start it
once I refill the oil and replace the oil filter. I actually used the oil and filter on the 1968 F500
that I had purchased for the F100. My plan is to build a carport/shed in the very back yard to park
both trucks and work on them there.

I know this is the wrong forum but I would like to try and repair this myself. I don't know anything
about pulling the transmission out or repairing the clutch. What are the chances of getting this little
short bed truck going without spending much money? It's old and worn out but I think it would run again.

I'm trying to get the 1968 F500 running just so I can drive it into it's final parking spot in my backyard instead
of taking up my driveway. It is probably timing or spark issues mainly. When I did get it running for a few
minutes the radiator seemed to get very hot very quick. Not sure if it is partially clogged up. but i digress.

Thank You.

p.s. five weeks alcohol free now. my wife isn't convinced(we have been separated a while now) I think buying
these trucks is good for me but only a part of a recovery process if any. it's weird i've been social distancing since
last summer sitting at home eating and drinking. now i'm sitting around wondering what the hell happened. also, i plan
to go back to work. i only have truck driving experience. trying to find something 9-5 or close and 5 days a week. i gotta
stay home and work on the yard and house and trucks. daughter is in third grade and the boy is in ninth grade now.
2003 7.3L F250
1968 F500 Utility Truck
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: three speed column shift clutch fork

Post by sargentrs »

I had a simliar issue with my '70 and the Ford 3.03 manual 3-speed. Fixed it like robroy in his thread. (Thanks, Robroy!)
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... ot#p387682
Watch out! Bump addiction is almost as bad 8) Good luck on your job search and keep us updated with your '83.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.