Where's a good place to start building HP

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

DougDA

Where's a good place to start building HP

Post by DougDA »

I have a stock original 1970 f100 302/auto, stock manifolds, 2bbl, exhaust, 3.25 rear, etc. all stock and all running good but probably tired.

What are the best items to add more hp short of rebuilding? I like the stock manifolds/exhaust btw.
DuckRyder

Re: Where's a good place to start building HP

Post by DuckRyder »

Assuming its the original truck engine your big issue is that the compression is very low, also if you like the stock manifolds and exhaust thats a limiting factor.

After verifying the engines condition (compression test, vacuum readings) - I’d normally say, duals, headers, intake/carb, camshaft - in that order.

Keeping the manifolds (do you mean you like the intake an 2bbl too) and without rebuilding you might improve the performance with a fairly careful camshaft swap. You need a cam with aggressive ramps which means comparatively long .050 numbers coupled with fairly short advertised to keep the DCR up. were it me i’d look for 10-12 degrees more exhaust duration than intake @ advertised.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DougDA

Post by DougDA »

not attached to the intake/2bbl. Wasn't sure if a 4bbl would be overkill with the current compression, etc.
mbloes

Post by mbloes »

DougDA wrote:not attached to the intake/2bbl. Wasn't sure if a 4bbl would be overkill with the current compression, etc.
I have the same setup and replaced mine with a Holley 2300 550 CFM 2bbl with electronic choke. The factory settings weren't great but I got it adjusted and it starts right up and runs great.

My mechanic thought at first that 550 was too much but the only problem I've found is that it just uses a lot of gas.