Coil Seat Part

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

rms337

Coil Seat Part

Post by rms337 »

I tore down the front suspension on my 69 Ranger CS a while back. I remember that I pulled a part off of one side only that was not on the other side. This part also is not in any diagrams for my year, or for other years, that I can see. It is a curved steel plate that fits on the underside of the lower seat for the coil. It was cut, pressed and curved for this purpose as it is a perfect fit. I think I remember pulling it from the passenger side, but not 100% certain. Can anyone tell me what this is? I should have taken a pic of it by itself, but I have added pics with me holding it in place on the seat.

ImageImageImage
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Coil Seat Part

Post by 390FE1972 »

I'm not positive, but it looks like the lower seat part 5A307 in this diagram, and the other part looks like the shim, part 5355
http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... eams01.jpg (click on the image to enlarge it)

Hope this helps! :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Interesting. I don't remember having any on mine. Edit: Upon doing a little more research, I see that it's listed as (As Required) in various documents. These appear to be a shim added to correct variations in alignment. Some had 'em, some don't. Some only on one side, some not at all. I wouldn't sweat it.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

Here is a good thread with pictures of the shim.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... ims+spring

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
rms337

Post by rms337 »

Thanks 390. These replies definitely helped get my mind around it. I also found a couple of posts on the other sites that helped as well. So it has to do with ride height. One of those other posts, in response to the same question about a '69, stated that the stock springs are side specific, and due to the 2" offset to the right of the trucks center line of the engine/transmission, it required the right side spring to be shorter but have a larger wire diameter than the left side coil spring. Not sure if any of this is true since I have not researched it, just sharing it, but it would explain why I had it only on the right side. Since the truck is new to me, I am just learning about the details.

But, I did notice that my coils look to have been replaced as they look too new to have been originals. Since they are off the truck, I will measure the thickness of the coil and the height to see where they are.

Thanks again for the reply.