Spring Washers

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

390xlt

Spring Washers

Post by 390xlt »

I'm in the process of reassembling my steering column, and I've got two spring washers. I know where one goes at the top of the column, but I can't figure out the other one. And I don't see either one on the parts diagram. I wasn't really expecting either one when I took it apart, so they both fell out before I realized what they were or where they came from. Based on the creative turn signal switch wiring and a couple of other things, I'm sure this column has been apart before, so it could be that it's an extra that was installed someplace it shouldn't have been and I should just leave it alone, but I wanted to run it by some more experienced minds first. Any ideas?
Thanks
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Spring Washers

Post by sargentrs »

In my experience there was only 1.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
390xlt

Re: Spring Washers

Post by 390xlt »

That's sorta what I thought; I appreciate the confirmation. Unless someone else chimes in with a better idea, I'm just going to leave one out.

I do wonder where the second one was. My guess is that the last person who put this column together doubled up where there is only supposed to be one; I can't imagine where else it would have been.
1970 F100 Ranger XLT 390 3 speed