68 F250 "special" Camper Special Project

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

cash667

Re: 68 F250 "special" Camper Special Project

Post by cash667 »

I´m still struggling with a noise in the drivetrain as mentioned in an other thread:
https://www.fordification.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=96739

I dont know if I ever get my noise problem fixed, but it´s possible to drive the truck so that this noise will not appear. I´m going to rebuild my spider gears in the rear end sometimes if I get 30spline axle shafts here in germany. (there is no rebuild kit for the old 16 spline gears :( )
the complete driveshaft has been rebuild and straightened, also checked for true. And it got a complete new slip yoke an new splines on the shaft. But it didn´t changed anything on the noise. The last thing which I did not rebuild so far is the rear end...maybe sometimes I´ll fix it

But beside of this it is so much fun to drive that truck! :yt: I really love it. Drove about 500km since the rebuild and it runs good.
Did a highway test and travel speed is around 70mph @3000rpm. The exhaust system is quiet in the cab but screams at the end of the truck when I hit the pedal :lol:

I also added airline tracks to the box to get more options to fix load on it.

with that done I added a bicylce carrier which can be mounted on the track system :oops: :lol: :lol:

and we did a little shooting with a friend of mine and his 80s F150 in "natural surrounding" :D

cheers from germany
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429
cash667

Post by cash667 »

another update with some small improvements.
I added a digital temperature gauge (motorcycle aftermarket stuff) which is hidden in the ash tray to get an exact temp reading:

And for safety purposes I added a fire extinguisher in the cab:

I´m also preparing for my cabover camper project and did a load test with a 1000litre water tank on the bed:

I drove on a scale an it was a load of 1100kg - thats what I would say is the max payload for that truck. So thats also the weight limit for my camper. But it felt better to drive it loaded than unloaded to be honest :D

Since prices for wood etc are more then double actually I went over to look for used vintage cabover campers in germany - which are really hard to find here. I found one in more or less bad shape which I could get for very little money. I´m still struggling whether to buy it or not. It´ll turn out in a full resto to be honest - but it´s exactly what I want. Could be a little bigger (longer) but I´m fine with it.

Maybe this will be my next project :lol:

stay tuned guys and keep updates on your builds
:fr:

Cheers
Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
cash667

Post by cash667 »

now I got all my missing trim pieces :woohoo:
lower bed trim:

and the missing ranger emblem:

So I finally got all trim pieces and emblems which supposed to be on my ranger camper special truck 8)

Next step is to convert the rear dana 60 to 30spline axle shafts...I´m figuring things out and I´ll let you know how it turns out :D

Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

Looks great, you have such a beautiful truck!
Any updates on the camper project?
Adam

My first truck,
1968 F100 lwb 2wd soon to have a 351w, 5-speed
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 15#p771357
^^Build Thread^^
04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!
cash667

Post by cash667 »

Thanks Adam! 8)

I´m still looking for used 60s-70s cabover campers here in germany, but it´s really hard to find some...
I´m also in contact with my shipping agent in the US who brought my 2 US cars overseas and we´re trying to figure out if this is somehow possible with a cabover camper. Seems like it only makes sense when I buy a whole rig with truck and camper,.. It also won´t fit in a container so it has to be a RoRo shipment,... I´m open for that and trying to find a good ad in the US. So if anybody knows anybody who want´s to sell his truck with a vintage cabover, please let me know :wink: preferable near the coast or a bigger harbour.
:fr:

If this all won´t work I´ll get back on my selfmade plans, but not yet...

Chris
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

I wish you luck finding something. It sounds like it would be a fun project once you get one. Good luck!
Adam

My first truck,
1968 F100 lwb 2wd soon to have a 351w, 5-speed
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 15#p771357
^^Build Thread^^
04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!