Interesting 4x4 build

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

DuckRyder

Interesting 4x4 build

Post by DuckRyder »

Someone sent me this and I thought it was pretty cool, keeps the flavor of the original.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/feature ... r-reformer

Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Interesting 4x4 build

Post by jzjames »

Cool. That’d be nice wouldnt it.
Dont think I would have gone with the beige and white colors though.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

The beige and white is because its the original colors of the truck and they wanted to keep it "original" LOL!!!

What that article fails to mention is that the only thing on that truck that is still original is the sheet metal. The entire frame was replaced with a one off from art morisson IIRC. Full drive line swap. Custom axles. ETC...

It's cool, just irks me that they try to pass it off as a restoration or restomod that anyone could own. No that's a full on build. It's also a full on build thats well outside the budget or capabilities of most mechanically minded people. Sure it was "built" to be fully capable off-road, but the yuppie that paid for it is either going to keep it locked away in the garage or drive it to the mall. Their money, their truck, they can do what they want with it. I'd much rather see someone on here get that praise for their real world truck.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
phantomtruck68

Post by phantomtruck68 »

JoshT wrote: It's cool, just irks me that they try to pass it off as a restoration or restomod that anyone could own. No that's a full on build. It's also a full on build thats well outside the budget or capabilities of most mechanically minded people. Sure it was "built" to be fully capable off-road, but the yuppie that paid for it is either going to keep it locked away in the garage or drive it to the mall. Their money, their truck, they can do what they want with it. I'd much rather see someone on here get that praise for their real world truck.
Amen brother.
Joe
My Phantom truck
1968 F250 4x4
390 FE, bored .030, Crane 272 cam, 600cfm Edelbrock carb.
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Great build with all the upgrades it really pushes the envelope of the truck especially with the Dynatrac axles, link front end and four link rear end set up, coil overs. The Advanced Adapters Atlas transfer case is a nice touch as well. My build will be going on 5 years come this July but its my build, not one I farmed out to a shop to pick up when its all done. I have friends that have no problems paying for someone to build hem a toy and I mean no disrespect to them as they enjoy the hobby a little different than me. I just like what I have to be something I built and not something I bought.

CStoyer
68 F250 4x4
zainyD

Post by zainyD »

Beautiful truck, no doubt, and very well equipped, but I have to say that I'm doubtful that 1-ton drivetrain and fancy transfer case will ever be put to use. I suspect that truck will see road miles only...but perhaps I'm wrong.

Here is the youtube video describing the build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UAnYNaLeL8
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

His shop does a great job but swapping FORD for Icon badging tears me up...Hmmmm...dont know about that.
04sd

Post by 04sd »

JoshT wrote:The beige and white is because its the original colors of the truck and they wanted to keep it "original" LOL!!!

What that article fails to mention is that the only thing on that truck that is still original is the sheet metal. The entire frame was replaced with a one off from art morisson IIRC. Full drive line swap. Custom axles. ETC...

It's cool, just irks me that they try to pass it off as a restoration or restomod that anyone could own. No that's a full on build. It's also a full on build thats well outside the budget or capabilities of most mechanically minded people. Sure it was "built" to be fully capable off-road, but the yuppie that paid for it is either going to keep it locked away in the garage or drive it to the mall. Their money, their truck, they can do what they want with it. I'd much rather see someone on here get that praise for their real world truck.
Agree 100%. A shame they wasted a good factory 4x4 to build this since they replaced everything anyway.