'70 shifter tube won't fit back into position....

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

DougDA

'70 shifter tube won't fit back into position....

Post by DougDA »

I had to change the steering collar/bowl on my auto column. In the process of fitting it on and off i managed to pull the shifter tube out of its groove in the bottom of the column.

Now I can't get it to 'key in' to the ring and slot at the bottom of the collar again. Is this a common issue?

In pulling the tube out i managed to snap off the neutral safety switch pin and it fell into the column....but i pulled it out and thought for sure that was the issue.....but it made almost no difference.

I've tried moving the shift arm (the arm near the rag joint) but no help...

Bottom line is; i'm trying to avoid removing the entire column!!
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: '70 shifter tube won't fit back into position....

Post by sargentrs »

It is tricky! I took my column out and rebuilt it and even then I had to stick a finger in from the bottom, through the bracket and into the tube, and guide it in with my finger. Dusconnect your shift linkage rod on the bootom lever of the column. That lever is a close fit on the tube and fixed in place by a slot in the lever and a tab on the tube which alows it to slide in and out a little against the spring on the bottom. With the rod disconnected you should be able to use the lever as a handle to move the tube around. Apply slight pressure on the top of the tube while moving the lever. Just enough pressure on the spring should allow you feel when the tube gets centered in the bracket. Then push it through and hold it in place by pulling up on the shift lever. Here's my rebuild thread so you can see the inner workings of the column.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=72274
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.