Aftermarket Radiator fan shroud?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Aftermarket Radiator fan shroud?

Post by JoshT »

I've see a lot of you use the all aluminum performance radiators from Champion or eBay. Can those radiators use the "factory" fan shroud, or do you have to get one of their aluminum shrouds?

I managed to mess up my truck again. This time before even getting it fixed from the last two. So finally got the front suspension back together. Fixed a minor brake fluid leak that I think I caused while fixing front suspension. Was in the process of buttoning up the power steering system so I could run and bleed it while still on jack stands. Well while attempting to mount the new power steering cooler, which I assumed I needed since there was one previously installed on the truck, I managed to poke a hole in the old radiator.

Why do all of these cooler kits have to use those plastic through radiator mounting pins? Why can't they have a regular bolt-on mounting that I can make a bracket for? Rhetorical questions there. Simple answer is I'm going to run without, not like the old cooler was doing anything as rusty as it was and flopping around inside the engine bay. I think it'll be ok, ~32" tires and regular street driving shouldn't be an issue without one. If I have issue with heat it I'll figure out some mounting solution for this cooler down the road.

I've pulled the radiator to try and get it by a radiator shop tomorrow. I have a feeling that they are going to want to charge me enough to buy a new radiator or two, and if that's the case I'll be buying a new radiator. Eventually I plan to go to an electric fan setup, but that's not going to happen right now. The truck isn't using a factory shroud currently, its got a custom setup to account for the 2" body lift, but its mounted to factory fan shroud mounts on the radiator. If those performance radiators will accept the factory shroud I've got no doubt that I can mount the custom shroud easily enough. I'd much rather run one of those than the plastic tank replacements that the parts stores offer, but I'll go plastic tank if the aluminum ones require their custom shroud.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
DuckRyder

Re: Aftermarket Radiator fan shroud?

Post by DuckRyder »

This might not be totally on point because my truck is a 2wd and my radiator is a griffin...

I’d have to drill the holes, but yeas it would fit like stock.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Aftermarket Radiator fan shroud?

Post by JoshT »

Not going to matter after all. The radiator shop is gone, so couldn't get it fixed.

The chain auto parts stores were going to have to order a radiator, that's why I was going to go with the all aluminum since price was close and I'd have to wait anyway.

Stopped in a local parts store, one of the few not chain stores left, and they were able to get me one today. Haven't opened the box to see is it's brass/copper or plastic tanks. About half the price of aluminum and available today, so I'm ok with either.

I'll save the aluminum unit for down the road when I can do the e-fans and not be rushed.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body