Added sway bars to my truck

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

davelj

Added sway bars to my truck

Post by davelj »

My 70 swb flare has rebuilt front and rear suspension with all new wear parts. It drove ok but I wanted a more stabile feel so I starting looking at options. Sway bars to address the body role and wander sounded like it might help.

I took a bunch of measurements of the front and rear frame, etc. My truck has a 351W, C6, and dual exhaust with 22 inch wheels and 2 inch lowering shackles. I also have the Mustang tank under the bed. Armed with my notes and tape measure, I headed to the local U-pull-it. After checking out multiple vehicles, I found a late 90s Ford Expedition with front and rear bars that looked like they would fit. I grabbed both bars along with all the mounting hardware. One minor problem was that the Expedition uses two different height frame brackets left and right. I grabbed an extra set at the wrecking yard so I could have matching ones to work with. I used the rubber bushings and links from the Expedition, thinking that I would change them out later if I liked the results. The bushings sets cost more that the bars did at U-pull-it. Specs on the bars: front is 32mm, about 1 1/4 inch. Rear is smaller at around 7/8 inch.

I started with the front. Using jack stands to hold the sway bar in place for checking, I found that there was a hole in the bottom of the frame on each side that would line up the bar in a good place. There was plenty of clearance for the link ends and nothing around the main cross bar section. I drilled an additional hole on each side and mounted the frame bushings first. I used the shorter set of mounts after slightly modding them (a pie cut and tack weld) to fit the flatter 70 model lower frame rail.

Once I was satisfied with the frame mounts, I started on the links ends. I had several options but settled on a piece of 1/4 x 1.5 x 6" inch flat bar attached to the large bolt that holds the coil spring to the I-beam. I removed the nut and washer inside the spring, drilled a 3/4" hole in the end of the flat stock, and slipped it between the bottom two coils. I had to oval out the hole a bit to allow it to drop over the bolt. I then dropped the link bolts through the hole on the sway bar to find the spot on the flat bar to drill the link hole. Once I found the spot I wanted, I drilled a slightly smaller (11/16") hole at the link end. I installed the links then lined everything up before tightening all the bolts.

[image]
Front-bar1.jpg
[/image]

On the rear, the bar attached to the rear end housing. Two dog bone links go from the bar to the side of the frame. I used 3" muffler clamps located just inside the leaf spring u-bolts to attach the bar. The clamp can be rotated around the housing to find the best spot. I ended up with about a 45 degree downward angle facing the rear of the truck. I can add support from the lower shock mount if it turns out to be needed. I had to bend the links into a lazy z to fit around the exhaust and leaf springs and I moved the links from the outside of the bar to the inside. One hole drilled on each frame side and done.

[image]
Rear-bar1.jpg
[/image]

The difference in the truck is amazing. Flat cornering, more stabile feel, especially at freeway speeds. Road bumps no longer feel like they will throw the truck into the next lane. Well worth the $30 dollars each I paid for the bars and all the hardware.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Added sway bars to my truck

Post by 390FE1972 »

Thanks for sharing your info! It looks good. 8) :hd:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
FordTruck
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Added sway bars to my truck

Post by FordTruck »

Thanks for sharing. I was trying to find a dentside front but I may just go with this route.
"Flyin High On Caffine And Copenhagen" R.I.P Chris LeDoux

60 Mercury Comet
65 Ford Econoline
72 Ford F100 on 79 4x4 SWB frame
77 Ford F250 "lowboy" 4x4
09 Harley Xl1200c