AC Controls

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: AC Controls

Post by sargentrs »

Yeah, not a lot of options. Complete removal and disassembly would be easiest. As for removing the hoses from the valve, I believe you can unbolt the A/C from the firewall and dash, disconnect the A/C hoses and heater hoses in the engine compartment and work the unit down by pushing the hoses through the cowl and firewall. Once you get it down far enough then disconnect the hoses from the valve. Probably have to remove the control cables too.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thanks for confirming, Randy. when it's all said and done, I'll probably wonder why I dilly-dallied on just dropping it in the first place.

Question: Any sources for the cables? I have to replace the #3 cable with a broken off end.

Thanks,

Geoff
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Cable #3 and cable #4 are connected to the same lever so it's an either/or scenario. Set on defrost it blocks off AC flow and set on AC it blocks off defrost flow. You can mix both by sliding it halfway but neither will be efficient. The unit wasn't designed to blow cold air through the defrost ducts. The #3 cable is C8TZ-19988-A. Hard to find. Google the part number and might get lucky. Here's the vendor resource page http://www.fordification.com/links.htm Probably have to call just about everybody. Start with Dennis Carpenter.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thank you, Sir!

So if this cable is truly made out of unobtanium and the flap door is "stuck" in the defroster-ducts-closed position, then perhaps this is how it should stay anyway, until one can be sourced (or otherwise fabricated)?

Geoff
CH3NO2

Post by CH3NO2 »

I made my own inner cable on my 68. Most lawnmower shops carry inner and outer cable in bulk rolls. Just tell them how much you need and they will cut you off a piece. Roll one end around a large nail or whatever you can find thats the same size as rhe dampner door crank,slide it through the outter cable and then make the little z on the end.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thanks CH3! That's great advice!

How's things over there in Plant City? I'm down in Lauderdale.

Geoff
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

So I ordered a cheap $35 color borescope from Amazon, and when it came in, I snaked it into the AC unit to see what the defrost door was getting hung up on. There was a vertical piece of sheet metal, approximately positioned between the registers that was contacting the door. When I realigned it to the left (pushed it with a screwdriver) the defrost door was then free to rotate. Silliest fix ever, and I still don't know what purpose that vertical piece serves, but it's done now, and I can start getting the AC working again. Idler pulley on order, gotta fab a new cable, slap it all together and see what I've got.

Geoff
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Glad you got her fixed!
Randy