Fuel gauge/sending unit selector switch

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

alvald83

Fuel gauge/sending unit selector switch

Post by alvald83 »

I have a 1969 f250 CS. I am able to use both stock fuel tanks by using the fuel tank manual switch next to the drivers seat. The problem that i have is that the switch on the dash, that tells the fuel gauge which sending unit to read, is not working.  I do understand that it could be that switch or the aux. tank sending unit itself.
Can anyone tell me how to test the dash switch before i crawl under the truck to deal with the sending unit.   I was in a bad motorcycle accident a year ago and have a difficult time getting up and down, so i want to check rule things out before i get under the truck.  Thanks Al
pcmdub

Re: Fuel gauge/sending unit selector switch

Post by pcmdub »

The fuel gauges work on ohms/resistance. So if you have easier access to the switch, then test the resistance of the wires before and after the switch. The switch either works or doesn't, it would not change the resistance/reading of the tank level unless shorted.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Fuel gauge/sending unit selector switch

Post by Mach428 »

I believe that these switches can be carefully disassembled to clean the contacts. I've done this on many electrical switches from this era. Once cleaned and lubed, it should work like new.